Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marycoudriet

Need Help removing paint from a bathroom sink

biddlebeach
15 years ago

We moved into this house 9 years ago, The only bathroom was done in blues, not totally horrible, but none of them matched the other. The sink was a horrible robin egg blue. I bought some craft paint made for tile, painted the sink, at least it looked more like it matched the rest of the colors, BUT, of Course, it did not hold up, so, my question is, how can I remove it? I can not afford to replace the sink just yet. would love to, eventually, but just not in the cards right now.

I am at the point that even the awful robin egg blue will be better than the mess I have right now. Help would be appreciated. It has been so long, I can't remember what the paint was, I used, I am thinking it was from Duncan.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mary

Comments (19)

• biddlebeach
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, so I know it was not acrylic, ( which I knew anyway) but the OOPS didn't do a thing for it. I got out hubbies palm sander,, whew!! what a dust ball! it helped,, but my hands were falling asleep with all the vibrations! plus, it doesn't get into the nooks and crannies. So, I tried GOO GONE,
    nothing,,
    then I tried just hot water,, to soak it, then try to scrape it,, eh,, kinda helped.
    I finally got in my cleaning products. found a bottle of AWESOME CLEANER from the dollar store. sprayed that on it, let it sit a bit, and then scraped,,
    It is working better than all else thus far,,
    man, what a mess. and I must say, that robin egg blue is just as ugly as I remembered it to be..

• paintguy22
    15 years ago

If it is latex (which it sounds like it is if hot water worked) then you can use denatured alcohol. I would wear gloves and make sure the room is ventilated. It's not the worst smelling stuff in the world but it's not the best either. It will dry out your hands if you let it sit on your skin for a while.

• biddlebeach
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Paintguy
    okay, here is my question,
    what is the difference between denatured alcohol and rubbing?
    And I assume I can get that at my hardware store?
    The water didn't really work, so to speak, it just kinda softened it up enough that my scraper could get underneath it and scrape some off. I am going to go do a search to see if I can figure out what it was I actually used.. sigh,,
    Thanks for the reply!
    Mary

• biddlebeach
    Original Author
    15 years ago

All I have in the house is regular alcohol, and it is working! Rubbing, not my good wine or anything,, LOL
    Thanks for the heads up, I will look for some denatured tomorrow after church and try to get it finished.

• mjsee
    15 years ago

All rubbing alcohol IS denatured alcohol...but all denatured alcohol is not rubbing alcohol.

SO...rubbing alcohol is a denatured alcohol that is approved for use on skin. Denatured alcohol can have additional contaminants in it. It is usually less expensive than RA.

• biddlebeach
    Original Author
    15 years ago

huh, thanks for that info,,
    this was from the dollar store, and was cheap! I can not imagine cheaper,
    gotta love cheap!
    Thank you !
    Mary

• biddlebeach
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is a pic of the dreaded sink,, in progress, hubby came home today and said, is that what it USED to look like? No wonder you painted it!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• mjsee
    15 years ago

oooo...vintage '70's blue swirl. NICE.

• biddlebeach
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Only too two weekends to get it all cleaned off, got it repainted in white. I know it won't hold up, but right now I can not afford to replace it. so, now my dilemma is, the sink top is white, the toilet and bathtub are white, the sink base, medicine cabinet and above toilet storage unit is dark wood look pressed board, the walls and floor are blue gray looking, junky tile look alikes. what color can I paint the cabinets? I like sagey green, not sure if it would look okay with that blue. personally I wouldn't even be adverse to painting the floor, or walls for that matter.
    Paint is much cheaper than replacing everything.

• mjsee
    15 years ago

Can you post a picture that includes some of the floor?

• sierraeast
    15 years ago

Painted it white? Man, you had a golden oppurtunity to keep the bllue swirl, install some shag carpet, disco ball, wallpaper, and acoustic(popcorn) on the ceiling for a totally retro 70's feel! Bummer!

• biddlebeach
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, Sieraeast, what WAS I thinking??? LOL
    not sure how well this one shows the colors of the walls and floor, but here it is

• biddlebeach
    Original Author
    15 years ago

here it is with some color on the base cabinet

• sierraeast
    15 years ago

Looks great! Nice color on the cabinet and the sink looks great! Nice work!

• biddlebeach
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks.
    Hope to work more on it this week.

• biddlebeach
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I have worked on this bathroom till I am almost done with the entire thing! Got the sink painted, then decided to do the cabinets, got those done then decided I wanted to paint the walls,, got one coat on the walls and am thinking the floor might just have to be next, I know all of this is not going to hold up forever, but I am hoping it will, at least until we decide to remodel. Here is what I ended up with today.

• biddlebeach
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Update!!!
    got the walls done and decided they were boring looking, so I added some of the green in a rag rolled effect, then on top of that I added some metallic gold glaze, THEN I painted the floor. so here it is all done,

• Vicki
    15 years ago

That looks cool. Like the wall treatment.

• biddlebeach
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Sunnytop! I am thrilled with the outcome..