Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amav31

Question on staining Aspen and Pine

amav31
16 years ago

I know this is a Paint message board, but I am not getting any response from other message boards. So I thoight I will post here..someone might know the answer.

I brought a Millstores Aspen student desk and a Pine bookcase. This is my first staining project. After some research on google on the how-to's , I plan to use a Minwax wood conditioner and then use a water based stain on both furniture pieces. I want to buy a Maple Minwax stain.

1.Since the desk is Aspen and the Bookshelf is Pine, what should I do to make sure that the stain color matches. Will applying the wood conditioner help in making these different woods in showing a similar stain.?

2.Since the desk will be used by a kindergartner, I want a easy cleanup.

Will a poly finish give me a easy cleanup from all the crayons.

Should I use water based or oil based poly.? I would appreciate it if you could suggest the correct stains that I should pick.

Thanks in advance Amav

Comments (5)

• paintguy22
    16 years ago

Well staining and wood finishing is considered part of painting IMO....it's the painters that do that stuff, so this is certainly the right forum to ask such a question.

The wood conditioner is going to fill some of the grain so that the stain won't penetrate as much. This will just make your stain color lighter and less blotchy, but it shouldn't affect the actual hue of the color. If you are staining two different types of wood you will probably just need to get two different stains. I would stain up the aspen first and then have a paint store match that aspen stain for pine. You should bring in a drawer or door from the desk and some scraps of pine for them to use to make the match.

I have had very little success with water based stains and poly. It just takes too many coats to get a smooth surface for me and I still believe that the solvent based poly is more durable.

• amav31
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks paint guy for the tip.
    Can I use oil based poly over the waterbased stain.?

• paintguy22
    16 years ago

That is usually fine, but since I never use water based stain I cannot be sure. Make sure you read the can of stain for recommendations.

• Michael
    16 years ago

I have done some water based staining and it takes more effort and attention than oil based stains.

You must always use the water based preconditioner prior to water based stain. It must be used on softwoods and hardwoods.
    The preconditioner also reduces raised grain when you apply the water based stain. After applying the preconditioner, I always remove the raised grain before staining. You can use a synthetic pad to do that.

When using different species, it's difficult to get a perfect match. However, leaving more stain on the wood that comes out light will help bring the colors close.

Caution: All excess stain must be removed or you will have adhesion problems when applying the clear coats.

I recommend the Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane for a desk.

Michael

• Marilyn Nolin
    8 years ago

We purchased a camp that has Aspen wood covering the walls and ceiling in the great room/kitchen. We want to whitewash, beginning with one wall. We think one lite coat of linseed oil covers the wood now.

What would you suggest for a whitewashed look, allowing the wood imperfections to still be noticeable?

Many thanks. We need yout guidance!!