Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lepetomane_gw

Oil vs latex on doors and trim

LePetomane
10 years ago

My bathroom remodel is close to finished and I need to paint doors and trim. A few years ago I repainted my kitchen cabinets with BM latex and haven't been too happy with the long term results- even though I let the doors cure for a month, I still have problems with sticking and chipping. Therefore, I'm toying with the idea of using oil, but I'm leery as I've never used it before. Ease of clean-up aside, what are the pros and cons? How much do additives like Floetrol improve latex performance? Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    10 years ago

oil will yellow over time

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

I've heard that you should specify a "non-blocking" paint to prevent sticking.

• paintguy22
    10 years ago

Oil or latex, you should really try to avoid having painted surfaces touching other painted surfaces.

• Faron79
    10 years ago

Many companies have been phasing-out Oils for years now.

ACE/Valspar is phasing-out their remaining Oil line, & IS NOT compatible with the newer 0-VOC Acrylic colorants that we're now phasing-in. Most ACE/Valspar dealers will be on the new system by years-end. We're a bigger retailer, so we got our new tinters/colorants last fall.

>>> We can no longer tint Oils!!

For a few years now, the better choice for Cabinets & Woodwork, are the "Hybrid" paints, which are Waterborne-Alkyds. Also, there's a form of Polyurethane-resin(s) in this class of paints. These also "level" better too...assuming one doesn't "overwork" the paint.

Check with an FPE-Retailer too. They do still import some STUNNING Gloss Oils. Your prep-work to show this stuff off HAS to be impeccable though! They have some awesome Hybrids though too. Prices though? Wellllll...open your wallet wider than normal...

Faron

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    10 years ago

My wallet is not big enough to afford that stuff! :-)

• rwiegand
    10 years ago

I've been using the Ben Moore Satin Impervo and it seems to be fine, yielding a tougher, much better looking finish than the water-based enamels I've tried, which I've found extremely hard to get a smooth finish with and found that they remained rubbery and subject to damage for many years. I do add some Penetrol to improve brushability--the brush seems to drag in the unmodified stuff. Our trim colors are all things where a little yellowing will not be noticeable.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

I just came across this older post--and have a comment.
    I recently renovated my childhood home. The old cabinets were painted with oil BM Impervo. Looks fabulous. The painter misunderstood me and used latex on the adjacent doors. The difference is day and night. The gloss is significantly less and brushstrokes are very much more evident. As long as they keep making it in oil, I'm going to keep using it.