Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skypathway

yes, another FS paint question, sorry to ask for more...

skypathway
16 years ago

I'm still curious about FS and I don't have access to FS paint except by mail. I know, some of you out there are groaning - not again, but I'm trying to understand the difference. I apologize in advance.

I see with regular paint on the wall the color changing through the day as the sun's position changes, and of course at night with lamps. As well the walls and ceiling in the room are slightly different.

I assume with FS that if you color matched it to a regular paint and painted swatches next to each other, in one particular light they would match, but as the quality of light changed, the FS paint would be clearly a different color than regular paint because of the difference in colorants? Is this correct?

If you looked at FS and a color matched regular paint in the exact light that they both match - would you still see a difference? What do you see?

sky who is so curious.

Comments (10)

• amysrq
    16 years ago

Yes, I am groaning! ;-) But, I like you, so here goes...

I have two walls that are adjacent to each other, perpendicularly, so their light source is somewhat different. One is the original BM Sherwood Green. The other is the EK match. On small painted samples, they look the same. In some lights they also look the same. But at some times of the day and in some photographs, they look like two different colors.

But the thing that is most striking to me is the way the BM paint looks very flat on close inspection and the EK paint looks like you could drag your fingers through it. It actually has visual depth, almost like a mirage, for lack of a better explanation. It is very soft and almost vibrates...which is what light energy is, right?

That's not a very technical explanation (Funcolors and Mindstorm can clearly run circles around me in the technical department!) but I hope it helps.

• skypathway
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ahhh, Amy, I'm so happy you like me LOL.

Okay, so I understand that when you look at it, it appears to have some depth. Hummmmmm.

Thanks, Sky

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    16 years ago

Would never assume that I could run circles around any body when it comes to color. I'm working hard like everyone else to get as good at this color thing as I can. lol! But I definitely can say that I am a bit weary of FS talk and am really, really glad you answered sky with such a great example, Amy. :D

• skypathway
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Can I "experience" FS with just the EK painted samples? Would that be enough to make a decision to buy over the web instead of locally? Would I see that mirage?

Sky

• amysrq
    16 years ago

Oh, c'mon FC...don't be so self-effacing! ;-) Yeah, I am weary too. I keep resisting making some kind of "dead horse" comment on the other threads. But, since it was Sky...

And no Sky, I don't think the chip will suffice. Where the h@ll are you? Can I mail you some paint? Please? 8-)

• skypathway
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Amy, I'm in Pittsburgh - the land of no FS paint. The ICI store that was 30 minutes away closed and the next closest is an hour or more away if I avoid rush hour and noon. Thanks for the offer, I really appreciate it, but I know it's a hazardous chemical so shipping is a problem. If I bought a sample pot from EK - is that enough to test it?

Sky who is happy you are so helpful.

• housekeeping
    16 years ago

Sky,

I know you are trying to work this out without having to send for paint that turns out not to be all it's cracked up to be.

There are several levels of exploration of FS that may help you work this out. The first is ordering some FS paint chips from EK, Citron or Donald Kaufman, (listed in order of their cost, I think).

Then from these samples you would need to select a color you think might work for your project (assuming that there was such a color in the paint chip array you ordered).

Then you should get a sample pot and paint out a large sample (or two) so you could tack it up on your wall and see if you liked it. At that stage (with the real paint to compare it to) you could try and have it color matched locally and paint out some sample boards to compare with FS painted samples.

Then you'd know if it was worth it to you.

Truly, FS paint does make a visible difference in most shades (barring a particular person's physiological inability to perceive it, which does happen).

Have you read the Donald Kaufman books about FS paint? Although one couldn't expect to get an accurate idea of his colors from a printed book because of the challenges related to printing, the text of the books and the gorgeous photos will help you understand the theory of FS paint. The books are expensive, but are easily acquired through most interlibrary loan programs.

After that, why not order somebody's sample set and see if there is a color you like and order a sample pot. The total "wasted" expense for doing something like will be less $75, max, and you will know what you think about the FS question forever more.

Right now I have a few sample pots of Donald Kaufman (a grey, a yellow and a green) and would be glad to send you little real-paint samples so you can see for yourself. I bet other people who are currently using FS colors might be willing to do the same, although that's a very hit or miss proposition since none of us may be using colors that you're thinking about. It would be better to bite the bullet and send for a set of your own sample cards. Personally I like DK -though he's the most expensive of the lot, unfortunately - and Citron better than EK colors (though my EK set of samples is now about 2 years old and probably she has different ones, which I might better).

This is just paint, not magic, however, so if all this is too much trouble, just take yourself off to BM or SW or C2, all of them have wonderful colors. Even I, a FS junkie, sometimes can't find the right shade in anybody's FS line so I choose something from the mainstream suppliers.

BTW, I don't mind answering FS questions, but I'm sick of FS "debates", so I often skip the whole thread.

HTH,

Molly~

• amysrq
    16 years ago

Regarding shipping...my Farrow & Ball paint gets shipped to me from Canada. And the quart I ordered from Citron was shipped, too. I know there are issues with shipping, but it is not entirely impossible to ship paint. I think it just goes by mule train rather than in the air.

Sky, would you like a plane ticket to FL instead? ;-)

• Michael
    16 years ago

Sky,

At the rate you're moving along, you should wait until Full Spectrum II Paint is introduced.

Michael

• skypathway
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Molly, I haven't seen you posting lately. I know you always have sage advice. I did read Donald Kaufman's book years ago when it first came out and was intrigued even back then but he didn't even have his paint collection yet. And yes, the pictures were gorgeous as was the price tags I'm sure for those homes. I have decided to buy a sample pot to test it and see what I can see. I won't bother to color match it because that part of the experiment doesn't appeal to me. I'm more interested in what it looks like up on a wall and the only way I'll know is to do it. Thanks for the offer of FS samples - I know it can only be sent by land and not air so I don't want to trouble anyone when I can just as easily order some from EK. I do appreciate your thoughts.

amysrq - your F&B is shipped from Canada? Given the crazy winter, I think I may take you up on that plane ticket to Florida LOL. Yes, they have to ground ship paint.

Brushworks, yes, I might be slow, but I like to think I'm doing full due diligence gathering all the information in my own OCD way. I never heard of Full Spectrum II Paint - are you pulling my leg or should I be waiting for this???? LOL. BTW, I will be hiring a painter for the first time so when he gets here I want all my choices made - it's so different when you paint for yourself - you have the luxury of repainting the next week if you don't like it at little cost, just a lost weekend and some paint.

Too many choices, not enought time.

Sky