Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Foundation paint color with house BM Weston Flax?

Posted by ArlingtonVAremodel (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 13:37

I have been dragging my feet on this, but in the midst of a cold spell here in metro DC, tomorrow is supposed to be 52 degrees and sunny, so the contractor wants to finish exterior painting.

Brick and siding were painted Weston Flax 2 months ago, which we are very happy with. Trim is white and lattice under side addition and rear screened porch will also be white (in the attached photo, the lattice is not yet installed).

The contractor started painting the foundation Weston Flax, which is just way too much yellow and doesn't ground the house at all. The architect suggested Chelsea Gray, which looks way too dark to me. (She also suggested something in the tan family, but nothing else on, in, or around the house is tan, except for all of the dirt from construction.) The roof is charcoal gray and we will be adding dark shutters at some point (black, gray, or maybe dark, dark green).

I think I want to paint the foundation gray, but lighter than Chelsea. Maybe Coventry Gray? Any recommendations appreciated, with the caveat that I will have to choose by about 8:30 a.m. tomorrow! Thanks much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Foundation paint color with house BM Weston Flax?

Have you tested Chelsea Gray outside? If you haven't, you might find that it looks a lot lighter than you think.

o
RE: Foundation paint color with house BM Weston Flax?

I'd finish with the Weston Flax. There's no reason to emphasize the foundation with another color. When it's done the Weston will make sense and look cohesive. I wonder how the foundation in another color will serve the overall curb appeal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here