Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with painting shower floor (long, with pics)

Posted by harriethomeowner (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 10, 10 at 12:11

We have a 60-year-old house that has a sort of basic utilitarian bathroom with shower in the basement. The shower is made of concrete, cinder blocks, and plaster and has been painted a number of times. The previous owners of the house slapped a coat of white latex paint on it to make it look decent, but the first time the floor got wet the paint started coming off in big flakes.

We decided to try to get this bathroom in decent condition so the occasional overnight guest could take a shower. I started trying to clean up the shower floor to prep it for repainting. I scraped off all the really loose paint and roughed it up with sandpaper. My question: Do I really need to scrape all the old paint off, or can I get away with leaving it as is (see pics below) and just priming and painting?

I tried using a wire brush, but it was totally useless. The only thing that gets the old paint off is scraping with a metal scraper, and I feel like I'm using a toothpick in terms of the area it scrapes. It's only 28" x 38", but it's a lot to scrape this way.

I bought a quart of an alkyd paint called Ox-O-Deck ("Multipurpose Urethane Fortified Enamel" for "Ramps, Stairs, Landings, Machinery, Equipment, Pipes, Railings"). Directions say to prime any bare spots with the paint, let dry, and then do a full coat. Will this work, or will I have problems because of the crummy latex paint layer?

Any help or advice appreciated!

Pics:

Shower floor:

Photobucket

Another angle:

Photobucket

Shower opening (to show size):

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with painting shower floor (long, with pics)

Can't help with info on painting, but you could get a teak floor mat.

Here is a link that might be useful: teak floor mat

o

I think your best bet would be to lay some tile. But, if you are painting it, you do not have to remove all the paint. Just make sure you remove anything that is loose...anything stuck solid is okay to paint over. I don't know what Ox-O-Deck is, but I think a 100 percent acrylic coating might be best if you are not going with epoxy. I could be wrong though....been a while since I painted a floor. You will want to follow the instructions to the letter on the can when it comes to cleaning and/or etching the concrete because that is what will make the paint stick.

o

Well, I spent some hours over the past couple of days chipping and scraping paint off of that floor, but I still don't know what to do after that or what product to use for painting. I don't want to end up with another flaking mess. I don't think the stuff I got is going to work.

Tile would be better. It seems like overkill for a very little-used shower in a bathroom that's stuck in the corner of the laundry room, but maybe I'll look into what would be involved.

o

Here's a simple suggestion.

Instead of repainting or using tiles, you could lay flat pebbles as a shower floor. Bags of them can be bought for a song from craft stores, or found free for the picking on beaches.

You'd still need to remove the old paint (all of it, not just the flaky stuff) and float some mortar in which to imbed the pebbles, then grout and seal.

The finished product looks good and feels good to the feet.

If you Google pebble shower you'll find several illustrations of what I am suggesting.

o

Tile would be better. It seems like overkill for a very little-used shower in a bathroom that's stuck in the corner of the laundry room, but maybe I'll look into what would be involved.

That's why the teak floor mat would work so well. It would hide the ugly shower floor and give the user something clean and comfortable to stand on. You can custom order the exact size of your shower stall. Look at the link below - you could even put a small bench in the shower.

Here is a link that might be useful: Custom teak shower floor

o

Just to update (in case anyone was wondering!), this is what I ended up doing: I scraped as much of the old paint off as I could, scrubbed with Dirtex, let dry, and then painted with white swimming pool paint (acrylic latex). I did four or five thin coats, letting them dry well between each coat. I also painted the shower walls with this. It was very easy to use and to clean up because it is water based. A gallon of the paint cost $50 -- by far the least expensive alternative. I used less than a quart, so if I have to touch it up, I have plenty of it left.

A houseguest has been using the shower every day this week, and it has held up perfectly so far. The finish seems to be very solid.

o

I was wondering actually!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here