Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zerolotline

Quick help needed - Garage & Driveway

Louis
11 years ago

We are having our backyard relandscaped. The landscape designer wants to paint the garage and solid stain our driveway the same color. Currently, the white garage and very, very light grey driveway is a glaring distraction.

What do you think about using the same color for the garage and driveway?

Comments (6)

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Would help to see a picture. What color and materials are the house? What color does she want to paint these two elements?

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    11 years ago

That's a toughie. I live in the land of stained driveways.

I've seen it work and I've seen the driveway/door bleed into each other and throw off the proportion and curb appeal. Because the driveway is the driveway and garage door is the door -- making them the same color messes with color hierarchy which messes with wayfinding.

When it's worked, the color even tho it was pretty much the same looked very different on the two substrates.

So, in writing this I've come to the conclusion that if the substrates vary enough in texture it could work. If it's a smooth driveway with smooth-ish doors/garage structure it might not look so great.

Hope that helps.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    11 years ago

"What color does she want to paint these two elements?"

she? :.)

• Louis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just was told the plan calls for solvent based stain on the driveway to compliment garage door color. Our contract now state the designer will provide various samples of both so that is one less headache. Thanks for your help anyway.

• Louis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We canceled the driveway portion of the deal. The contractor did not have the ability to could strip the old H&C solid color water based stain.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Christoph, I'm fairly oblivious to reading things that way. I probably saw designer and used "she" because they usually are. Not sure I thought about it one way or the other. Or I would have edited to be all inclusive, lol. But landscape designer, yeah, they are probably usually males. No? lol I don't think it matters, really. But that's just me. Maybe you are just ribbing me ;)

Any pictures?