Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spending a fortune on BM samples!

Posted by teragram81 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 11:52

Hi! I just moved into a 1920s craftsman bungalow where the previous owner had, shall we say, an interesting design aesthetic! If possible, I'd like to pick one neutral color to paint both the hallway and the family room. The hallway is an interior space with no natural light and the family room gets some afternoon light, but is fairly close to the neighbors' house so isn't particularly sunny. The ceilings are 10 ft. The trim is a bright white (not sure of the exact color) and there is a fair bit of it with 10in base boards and 15in crown moldings. The fireplace surround has its original pale yellow tiles and a white mantel. The hardwoods are also original and are a medium tone. I have had good luck with BM Grant Beige and Manchester Tan in other homes, but here they look a sickly green color, and don't work at all with the fireplace. BM Sail Cloth and Winds Breath were too light. Any suggestions on a great neutral color that might work? I'm open to beiges, creams, grays, and maybe even a blue gray. Pretty soon I'll spend more on the samples that the actual paint so I could really use some help! Thanks!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spending a fortune on BM samples!

I was just reading a solution on Pinterest somewhere re: green tones coming out in both those colors you mentioned. I'm sorry I didn't save it, but if you don't mind getting sucked into days of Pinterest, do a seach on Manchester Tan.

I stink at paint, being in the stage of having squares everywhere. I get a lot of inspiration and pictures on the Kitchen forum here. Often kitchens transition into other rooms, so the changes in light are very important there.

If you decide to strip that woodwork, I highly, HIGHLY recommend Citristrip. It cuts the work to almost nothing. I can't imagine the beautiful woodwork under that paint! :)

Congrats on a new home.

o

Thanks CEFreeman! I'll check out Pinterest for some suggestions. Yes, the woodwork is gorgeous in this house and thank goodness the previous owner left it alone in most of the house. We are just doing a quick update now to erase the bright orange walls and two toned striped hallway (mustard yellow on one side and marine blue down the other side, not sure what she was thinking in that choice!). So for now, we want to leave the trim as is.

o

Isn't it amazing how many people should be asking themselves, "What in the hell was I thinking?" (In the Rehab Addict's squeal!) But they don't ask....

o

So true!

For what it's worth, I never could find a perfect beige, so I went with a gray instead - BM Wickham Gray. We finished the hallway, and it looks great!

o

Have you looked at BM Glacial Till from their Affinity collection? It's very neutral -- almost a grayish-beige. After considering some of the same colors you mentioned (Manchester Tan, Grant Beige), we've decided to use Glacial Till in our kitchen, adjacent sitting room and family room, and to use Glacial Till lightened by 50% in our dining room.

o

we used BM paperwhite (white/grey) with BM simply white ceiling and trim and I love. it's a little on the blueish side but just a nice clean bright feel. (more cool than warm). we painted the bedrooms with a warmer white.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here