Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
starlight628

Decorating with pale blue ceiling

Starlight628
10 years ago

I'm hoping someone can offer some suggestions as I'm really stuck. We purchased a home with extremely high ceilings and every wall and ceiling in the house is painted a pale blue. It's a pretty color but I'm tired of it and can't afford to hire someone to paint the ceilings so I'm trying to figure out a way to keep the ceilings blue but paint the walls a different color, which I can paint myself. The entry hallway, kitchen, dining room and living room are all open. The flooring in the kitchen is brown tile and the carpet is a taupe or light brown color. I am partial to sea colors of sand, turquoise, teal, and cream. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks so much!

Comments (5)

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

We have pale blue ceilings ... it's really, really PALE and almost an off-white.

Just ignore the color and paint the walls whatever you want. I would stay away from blues for the walls - use cream or sand on the walls and use the blue and blue-green shades in furniture and accessories.

OR: paint the walls pure whiote and go all beachy elsewhere.

• jcalhoun
    10 years ago

Ivory would go well with light blue.

• trinkette1
    10 years ago

Farrow & Ball's Clunch is an extremely beautiful, neutral color. Not warm or cool, and very saturated with pigment, it looks lovely in both sunlight, shade and interior lights. Plus it works beautifully with all the colors you mention. It is so UN everything in terms of visible base color(s), that it's quite timeless. You need to see a paint sample IRL though, I've seen very few print or website reproductions accurately reflect what it is. Even so, I can't tell you how many times I've seen it in magazines and known what it was before reading the text. It has a depth and richness to it that seems to carry through wherever it is.

I lived with it in a master bedroom for several years and never tired of it. In fact, the color was so lovely, I remember saying I wanted to eat the walls!

Clunch would make a lovely foil for whatever you wanted to do in an open concept home. Then use the turquoise, teal and cream colors you like in furnishings, fabrics, accessories and art.

• Starlight628
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the wonderful suggestions. I really appreciate it and will consider them.

• trinkette1
    10 years ago

If you prefer a more orangy based "neutral" color with your blues - orange is at the other end of the spectrum from blue - F&B Matchstick might be a worthy choice. And if you like lighter and brighter, F&B's red-based white Pointing would be hard to beat. Gorgeous color.

I realize F&B is pricey, but it is the paint I know best. Except for a few BM colors, I'm not sure I know other brands well enough to be helpful here.

Good luck!

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert