Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pbx2_gw

Looking for a BM color = Farrow & Day's Dayroom Yellow?

pbx2_gw
11 years ago

We are looking for a BM color that would be a close equivalent to Farrow & Day's Dayroom Yellow to pain our front door.

Any ideas?

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    11 years ago

Benjamin Moore Hawthorne Yellow HC-4. Not an exact match but in the ballpark. F&B's version is prettier. Hawthorne can have a skunky green edge to it. Could try getting a quart of Hawthorne and ask them to make it hold the black. (if they know how to do that)

• pbx2_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Funcolors. We actually got the F&B's little sampler ($7 gasp!) - not even a quart - & will try to get BM to match.

You think they can do it?

• sis2two
    11 years ago

That door is actually painted Golden Honey by Benjamin Moore. I just came across it when I was googling my Golden Honey color. Hope this helps.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    11 years ago

Well, that makes it easier. Golden Honey is yellow-orange. Has a peachy edge to it. F&B's yellow is just yellow. Two distinct flavors of yellow. Both cheery and very lovely - would use either in a heartbeat.

If it's going outside, just makes sure you tell them it's for exterior. If you have a brush-out of Dayroom, yeah, I think they have a good shot. Still would mention if they know how to do it sans black.

• pbx2_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Posted by sis2two (My Page) on Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 17:36
    That door is actually painted Golden Honey by Benjamin Moore. I just came across it when I was googling my Golden Honey color. Hope this helps.

Do u have a link of your source? Cause everywhere I have searched that exact door pic is referenced Dayroom Yellow by F&D

• pbx2_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update: So I went to Benjamin Moore & they looked up in their database to match their color: most resembles Farrow & Ball's Dayroom Yellow is: Copacabana 284.

Here is a link that might be useful: Copacabana 284

• Wolfpackmom
    11 years ago

I would say that is definitely not BM Golden Honey - Golden Honey is not that yellow. It has an orange look to it. I have painted it on one of my foyer walls and changed my mind instantly. I was looking for yellow-gold.
    That door is really pretty - where you are finding it, is a designer listed that you can contact?

• Wolfpackmom
    11 years ago

I hope this link attaches correctly...if not go to
    www.mainemommy.com first house on right or look for the yellow door

Here is a link that might be useful: First house on the right or look for the yellow door

• sis2two
    11 years ago

pbx2-- I had googled " rooms painted Golden Honey by Benjamin Moore." now everyone is different but when I sampled it on a large foam board, mine didn't look orangey at all. It was a bright yellow. Hope you can find it.

• pbx2_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Posted by Wolfpackmom (My Page) on Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 18:13
    I hope this link attaches correctly...if not go to
    www.mainemommy.com first house on right or look for the yellow door
    Here is a link that might be useful: First house on the right or look for the yellow door

Thanks for that info. I've seen that blog before but it never really gave me confidence that it was F&D - more visual inspiration.

However, the link below is a bit more confirmation that it is more than ever Dayroom Yellow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cribbed from Real SImple via simplifiedbee's blog

• Wolfpackmom
    11 years ago

pbx2 = the door in the maine mommy link = I think she got a match from Valspar/Lowes. So her actual door I think is lighter than the Dayroom Yellow. Yellow's are really hard. If you want Dayroom yellow - might be worth your while to pay the price and buy it direct so you are really happy with it.

• Wolfpackmom
    11 years ago

BTW I love the link you posted = some really pretty front door colors!

• pbx2_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@ Wolfpackmom: we have a little 100ML pot from F&B that we just painted our own paint chips: brown paper bag & white 8x11 paper.

We put it up against BM Fresh Butter; that seems to have a bit more depth & substance.

The DayRoom Yellow equivalent in BM - Copacabana - doesn't appear as weighty in straight sunlight. This makes me wonder if it can still shine thru vs. a strong mid-summer sun or will it just fade into the daylight.

Maybe it's $120/gal talking but F&B sure does look pretty.
    Whatever, you see in that picture in the OP, it's even prettier in real life.

• pbx2_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update again: we decided to paint the front door Fresh Butter from BM.

Under our condition & lighting with our western facing door, Fresh Butter looks more substantial & won't take a back seat to the bright sun light.

To our eyes, it looks truer to the OP pic in all light.