Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
williamsem

Which paint line to use, quality vs price?

williamsem
11 years ago

I'm sure this comes up periodically, I just must be using the wrong key words.

I need to paint the kitchen and powder room, and eventually the great room/stairwell/upper hallway. I have always used SW paint in the past, and with proper prep, priming, and two coats have had great results. Most recently I used Obi Lilac in the spare bedroom to convert it to a reading room, and Threshold Beige in the full bath.

GC will use any paint I specify, though he believes SW has priced themselves out of the market for the quality of their product. He suggests Behr or Valspar. Contract says prime and 2 coats of paint, so I'm not worried about "one coat coverage" or "paint and primer in one", I just want it to look good when it's done.

I've personally never worked with anything but SW in my short painting DIY career, but I'm willing to give another brand a try. What's the best paint in this price range for interior surfaces? I need to pick out colors over the next couple of weeks and would rather work with the color deck for the line I intend to use vs try to color match.

Comments (26)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    11 years ago

There are several brands/grades out there that offer a great value. A lot depends on where you are located. Valspar premium delivers a lovely final finish. Others are more regional Diamond Vogel, Dunn Edwards, California Paints, Pratt & Lambert Accolade, Kensington & Clark from ACE. It's good to compare price per square foot, it's an additional benchmark to help determine value. With many brands/grades you can cover more for less.

Which is what you have to watch out for with the lesser quality cans of paint. They may be cheaper but it covers less and you have to buy more.

• williamsem
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, funcolors. I'm in upstate NY. Not familiar with those brands you mentioned, but I can check them out.

I'm assuming each line would tell you how much a can should cover, thereby enabling you to calculate value? I'm not so concerned about a few dollars a can difference, more concerned with getting a quality finish with 2 coats, which I think is a reasonable expectation. I also don't want paint that rubs off with normal contact, though I suspect that is mostly the low end stuff.

Any suggestions on now to differentiate value from inferior quality? Or maybe an easier question for the experts, recommend or rank 2-3 brands/product lines in this general price range (not top of the line, but safely above cheap)? I don't mind spending a little more for a good finish, but it would be frustrating to branch out and end up with poor coverage/extra coats.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    11 years ago

Not top of the line but safely above cheap - SW Super Paint is the first thing I think of.

Curious what others have to say. . .

• PRO
  • Faron79
    11 years ago

Just stay away from "Contractor Grade"!!!!

Fun-C & CN have good rec's.
    Since you're in NY state, you MAY have a C2 dealer in your region. Retails per Gal. are Mid-$40's/gal to low $50's for the Low-VOC Premium.

Faron

• Michael
    11 years ago

Upstate NY.

Check out Muralo Paints.

Quality and value that has never disappointed me.

• williamsem
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, C2 is nowhere close, but PPG and Muralo are both within a 15-25 minute drive.

Seems my best choices would be PPG, Muralo, or SW. My GC uses a "union painter" (quotes for exactness, not being snarky), so not sure what he's accustomed to but I can specify any paint I want. Not worried about using low VOC.

Any quirks or tips for these lines I could pass along? I want to visit the stores before I decide, but want to be sure I can pass along any useful info available to the painter to get the best end result.

I also see a vote for Manor Hall. Any interior Muralo line I should be using? I appreciate all the suggestions. I find the feedback from specialty forums to be very valuable, thanks for taking the time to post!

• baileyandbella
    11 years ago

SW has a 25% off coupon right now. Super Paint is great, IMO, the link is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: sw

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    11 years ago

Muralo Ultra Ceramic Matte
    Manor Hall / Manor Hall Timeless
    SW Super Paint

In that order. Honestly think you'd be fine with any of those three.

• realtorrose
    11 years ago

I have used Behr paint many times with great success. It is a great paint for the price. I just recently painted my entrance hall that was rather complicated. A painter friend usually uses SW paint so I thought I'd give it a try. I found it very expensive although it did do a good job covering. If your contractor is priming, I don't see why he would need 2 top coats.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    11 years ago

, I don't see why he would need 2 top coats.

because that is the proper way to paint
    primer and 2 top coats

• williamsem
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just wanted to update.

Decided to try PPG Manor Hall, I was too chicken to go for hand tinted! Maybe for a smaller project I do myself.

GC has nothing but good experience with PPG, but has not used MH line. Priming should be Tuesday or Wednesday depending on how the mud dries. We are planing one coat before the cabinets and one after, to help mask touch up. So still two coats.

Kitchen will be Montego Bay

Powder room is the next color up on that card (small interior room), and ceilings will be the lightest color on the card. My first go at colored ceilings!

Will post back with results. Thanks for the advice!

• PRO
    10 years ago

Wow! Someone actually listened to me :-)

• Faron79
    10 years ago

I'm sorry Cn....
    What were you saying.....?
    ;-)

Faron

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

That's a neat color, williamsem - I can't wait to see it on the walls!

I'll be painting my kitchen/dining room/ceiling before my new cabinets go in. I'm planning to do two coats, and touchup as needed after install. I don't want to risk painting around my cabinets any more than I have to.

• PRO
    10 years ago

quote "I'll be painting my kitchen/dining room/ceiling before my new cabinets go in. I'm planning to do two coats,"

AFTER priming, I hope.

• loves2read
    10 years ago

can see if they are having to mud why they would also need to prime
    but unless there is really significant color value most of the time two coats with quality paint and painter who does a good job would be enough--wouldn't it?

You certainly couldn't cover a Chinese red wall with a white/gray or any color that was less intense even with two coats...
    I know because I failed to do so...
    but using a light gray on top of a builder's white--
    I would think no problem with two coats...and no primer...

• phxphoto
    10 years ago

If we're just talking color with no other factors, you're absolutely right that primer shouldn't be needed.

But given the crummy quality of paint (and paint job) many builders are using, priming's often the safer bet. By repriming you can be sure the new paint will go on evenly and you'll also possibly use less paint.

• Faron79
    10 years ago

Are you gonna have Crown-molding installed in there?

Faron

• PRO
    10 years ago

Are you gonna have Crown-molding installed in there?

I hope!

• Faron79
    10 years ago

Must be Cn upper-wall painting there...;-)

Faron

• williamsem
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We will have crown only on the cabinets. As this was only the first coat, they opted to make sure the walls got covered and cut in after the ceiling finished drying. This way it got to dry well over the weekend and didn't put things further behind.

Not optimal, I know, but this guy does a lot of painting locally and this is his third project at my house, so if he thinks that will will be fine, I'll go with it. They're here today doing the subfloor prep, so wet walls and dust don't mix too well :-)

• williamsem
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thought I'd share what's finished, at least paint-wise. Still need one more coat on the kitchen, cabinets are going in at the moment. Will definitely need some more patching first!

Bathroom:

Ceiling:

So far I'm really happy with the colors. I'm really enjoying the colored ceiling too, might have to try that in another room!

• carolbarrel
    10 years ago

Does anyone have an opinion on Allen & Roth paints?

• pirula
    10 years ago

That's really fun! Great color!