Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
graywings123

Exterior wood floor paint

graywings123
13 years ago

I want my wood front porch floor to be painted the same color as the shutters. Can/should I use the same paint?

I see that they sell special floor paint, but it doesn't seem to come in customs colors.

And what do I use for the back porch, which is concrete? I'm planning on Ben Moore HC-145 Van Courtland Blue for both porches.

Comments (9)

• yogacat
    13 years ago

I know that Akzo Nobel (formerly ICI) Groundworks paint can be tinted pretty much any color you want. I used it last summer on a wooden porch. Benjamin Moore used to have a set of premixed porch paint colors but would also do custom colors. There might be some limits depending on the base, but I bet they can do what you want. I'd definitely use a paint that's intended to be used on an exterior floor.

• User
    13 years ago

I would for sure get floor paint. I was pretty sure BM did custom colors. Paintergirl mentioned she liked BM floor paint. Paintguy mentioned to me before that he liked Muralo for floors.

Just don't use SW floor paint. I get to redo my stairs.

I'm not sure about the concrete.

• Faron79
    13 years ago

Hey Gray!

Yeah...just check if your desired blue can be done in their Floor-paint series.

DON'T PRIME!!!

Most floor paints shouldn't be primed.
    There's VERY few floor primers anyway.
    PREP is the most important.
    Make sure those areas are scrubbed good and clean...and dried-out enough. Rent a surface moisture-tester.

Often, the 1st coat of a floor paint needs to be diluted SLIGHTLY. 2nd coat goes on full-strength.

The deeper the color...the longer the cure time! Depends a lot on temp and humidity too tho...

Faron

• graywings123
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the advice! The Ben Moore site mentions a variety of ready-mixed exterior floor paint colors for the latex version and "a broad range of special prescription colors" for the oil-based paint. I wish the website were more detailed.

This project is a few months away so I have time to investigate the former ICI paints as well. I have used ICI-mixed Ellen Kennon paint.

• tuesday_2008
    13 years ago

Gray, if you can't get the floor paint to match your shutter paint, go ahead and buy the floor paint. Then, a good paint mixer should be able to use a sample of the floor and mix it to the regular exterior paint you would normally put on a shutter. Does that make sense? You are probably going to be limited to your floor colors.

I had to repaint window and trim and could not find the original color/can of my old trim paint, which was the exact color of my shutters, but took a piece of the old rotted trim that had some of the old paint. They "put it on the computer" (whatever that means in the world of paint) and came up with a perfect color match.

Oops! I went back and read what you said - you are probably not repainting your shutters - just trying to match the floor to the shutters????? Forget what I just said if that is the case. (LOL)

Tuesday

• graywings123
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No, you read it correctly, I will be repainting the shutters. But, I have the shutter color picked out and don't want to change it to match a floor paint color.

• bama12
    11 years ago

graywings.....came across your post about your porch. We are about to repaint our porch floor also. How did yours turn out???

• graywings123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm still working. Most of the house was painted in 2011. I'm working on the front porch and will do the floor last. Right now I am scraping paint off the banister and rails.

• Jumpilotmdm
    11 years ago

Keep in mind, the 3 hardest surfaces to keep paint on are fences, shutters and porch floors.