Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kheflw

Comments on Painting Brick Fireplace

kheflw
10 years ago

Been living here for a good 9 months, I've thought of a good cleaning of the fireplace bricks, maybe a glaze to brighten them up. But now I'm considering painting. Scary cause you cannot go back after doing it.
Some photos here, it's a big fireplace, the main focus in the living room. That wood stove insert was just added this winter, it works great, so this fireplace will see a lot of fire.
I'm open to any comments, on painting or not, color, changing the mantle, adding any other decor to the brick. Anything.

Thanks

Comments (10)

• kheflw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

side view

• kheflw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

had to lookup Gulag! I hear you, it's a lot of brick.

• lam702
    10 years ago

I would definitely not paint the bricks! They are beautiful! Besides, if you ever plan to sell that is going to have a negative impact. I hate painted bricks. I know they are tough to clean, but a magic eraser cleans up just about everything. I would not do a thing to the fireplace. If you want to freshen up the room, paint the walls, not the bricks, please!

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    10 years ago

I agree, no paint. Do something with the mantle( more wood painted white, maybe) and put a big picture above it

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    10 years ago

quote" people who paint over wallpaper or brick should be sent to a gulag in North Korea!

at the very least!

• kheflw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

nuff said, I've seen so many photos of painted brick, and thought a forum like this might like the idea. I will not paint the bricks.
    Now, on cleaning and restoring brick, any suggestions?
    The current wood mantle is pretty lame, any suggestions on a replacement reasonably priced if I can mange to do it myself?

• WendyB 5A/MA
    10 years ago

how about some crown molding and corbels? I'm not sure how you would get the same wood and stain to match the existing, but I'm sure it is do-able.

• geoffrey_b
    10 years ago

"Now, on cleaning and restoring brick, any suggestions?"

I don't think the brick is dirty. In 1871 there was a great fire in Chicago. A lot of brick buildings were destroyed - however the brick was still OK. Thus people sold the used brick. What you have is either real Chicago used brick, or new brick that is made to look like used brick.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

You might want to post photos of the room on the Home Decorating forum to get advice on whether to paint and what changes could be made.

I'm not opposed to painting brick (I am opposed to painting over wallpaper) but I like your brick. A larger mantel might help.

From what little I see, what's missing in your room is lighting, and the right kind of lighting might make the brick more attractive to you.

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone