Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can I thin primer?

Posted by choochnbob (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 22, 09 at 9:19

I am using INSL-X Low Odor oil based primer. I am finding it very hard to apply evenly and it seems to dry almost instantly, leaving a poor finish. It wasn't bad on the small doors but it is very difficult on the large peninsula and the large piece of wood that goes along the entire side of the fridge. Can I add some mineral spirits to thin it? I was told that it will fill in the grain of my oak well but I'm finding that I'll need 2 coats.
I'll be applying Cabinet Coat for a topcoat. I know CC says it can be used as a primer but my cabs are pretty poor condition so I'm thinking another coat of INSL-X primer and round of sanding is necessary. I just dread reapplying that same INSL-X primer again.
If there's a better primer to use for filling grain instead of thinning the INSL-X then I would love recommendations of a good primer.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can I thin primer?

If I were you I would call the place you purchased it and ask them to be on the safe side. I would not want you to comprimise your paint without talking to the 'professionals'.

o

Good idea, thanks H.C. They said the spec sheet says not to reduce it. Arghh.
I'm going to buy Zinnser bullseye.
Thanks.

o

Sometimes adding a splash of thinner will make the paint easier to work with. You can also use Penetrol.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here