Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heathermisme_gw

Prime cabinet doors with canned spray paint?

heathermisme
13 years ago

Can I prime my oak kitchen cabinet doors with canned spray primer? I know it will be messy and expensive but I'm trying to save myself some physical pain since I have carpal tunnel and painting with a brush takes me forever since I need to rest a lot. Also, if I can spray prime them, can I also use regular spray paint to paint them and then maybe brush on one last coat (using cabinet coat)? Thanks so much for any help you can provide!!!

Comments (5)

• Faron79
    13 years ago

You might not wanna hear this, but please consider hiring this done.
    If they were garage-cabinets, I'd say go for spraying.

Since they're kitchen-cabs....NO.

A good quality paintjob (done by a painter who KNOWS how to prep) can be quite stunning.
    Since doing the prep yourself isn't healthy, get some painter-estimates.

Faron

• heathermisme
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Faron. I get what you're saying but I just wonder _why_ one shouldn't use canned primer. Is the coverage or finish not as durable? Not as smooth? What about just using canned spray primer and brushing the 2-3 coats of paint? Thanks again. You're always so helpful!

• Faron79
    13 years ago

Hey Heather-

Per $1 spent, ONE THIRD of it will be wasted as propellant!

Main reason against "Spray-paint":
    >>> Your coat-thickness will be impossible to keep even.
    Acceptable spray-paint coats are too thin to be of much use on cabinets.

It's just too big a job for spray-cans.
    1 cabinet.........Yes.
    A whole kitchen...NO.

The film-build of brush-on products is much thicker, relative to a "Krylon" coat!
    Plus...if you get a run on a spray-can-coat, you're screwed.

Faron

• paintguy22
    13 years ago

The coverage and durablity are both less since the paint inside a spray can needs to be thinned out so that it will actually spray. Thinned down paint has more solvent and less of the good stuff that makes paint durable. If you want to save yourself from doing so much brushing, try a small roller that you can use just to get the paint on faster and then back brush it out.

• heathermisme
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you both so much!

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County