Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stacking stained pickets?

Posted by lucille (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 7:03

I am waiting for the moisture in the pressure treated posts and frame for my picket fence to fall to 12-15% via a moisture meter in order to stain.
Meanwhile, I could be staining the cedar pickets. I can stain them in batches but then after 24-48 hours would need to stack them in order to have room for the next batch. I don't want any blocking or sticking though. It is OK to stack the pickets?
My other option would be to just wait and stain them in place on the fence.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stacking stained pickets?

Why would you not want to sticker them in the pile? It's common practice.
Casey

o

Casey, it may be common practice but I have no clue as to what you are speaking of: "Sticker them in the pile"?
Could you say it another way? Thanks.

o

Stickers are thin wood strips laid between layers of wood to facilitate airflow, and thus curing of the paint.
You can usually get your stickers for free if you are ripping wood, as the drop-offs can be squared up into nice stickers.
Casey

o

Thank you for the explanation. I have only the trimmings from the 2x4s, not enough to work as stickers. I think I'll just end up staining them on the fence.

o

I started staining the pickets and found that if I let them set by themselves for a while to absorb the stain, they can be stored close together vertically.
The Sikkens Cetol SRD Teak is a sweet color. I did the frame, posts and 50 pickets today and I'm totally bushed, painting is hard work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here