Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenes_gw

SW Match for BM Shaker Beige

jenes
13 years ago

After much search, reading the forums, looking at pictures online, getting a sample, I decided on BM shaker beige for my living/dining room. Then I started thinking about hiring a painter, and he uses SW. Can they match the shade, or might I end up with something that's really not quite the same (weird undertones or something).

It doesn't really have to be exact, but I don't want to pay all this money and end up with something I don't like. I know there must be a million threads on it already, but if anyone wants to give me suggestions on a SW warm beige that might be close, I would appreciate it.

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    13 years ago

Shaker Beige is an easy match in SW. SB in SW can come out with a green undertone depending on how it's mixed - what colorants are used when they mix it. There's more than one combo of SW colorants that will produce a Shaker Beige "match". It's true for just about any color - there's more one way to mix a "match".

Tell your painter, tell the paint store you do not want any lean to green whatsoever in your Shaker Beige. A good tinter at the store will know exactly what to do.

It's always a good idea to have a test quart made - same brand, grade and sheen as the gallons you intend to buy.

• Faron79
    13 years ago

I THINK I've got a match for this color....
    BUT-
    It's into ACE-Royal paint, and another into C2 paint.

The formula would be mostly meaningless for SW paints.

I usually back-off some on the Black. If there's a little too much Black, Beiges can get slightly "Olive" in a hurry. Red-Oxides OR Reds are almost always in colors like this too.

On average, most typical "Beige" colors have 3 colorants:
    B= Black
    C= Yellow-Oxide (this is always the largest colorant amt.)
    F= Red-Oxide (Usually only a few shots)

AGAIN....these are ACE-Colorant abbrev's.

Faron

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    13 years ago

"I usually back-off some on the Black. If there's a little too much Black, Beiges can get slightly "Olive" in a hurry. Red-Oxides OR Reds are almost always in colors like this too."

That's it - that's the key, Faron. Back off the black. SW colorants for some reason tend to produce a stronger edge of green than other brands.

I hate to tell paint store staff how to do their jobs, how to mix paint but you brought it up, lol! :~D And it is a spot-on observation.

• Faron79
    13 years ago

Fun-C,

I wish we could clone you, and "Install" 1 of you in every paint store....
    Paint outlets would probably make a ton more $$$$!
    ....and customers would always have the best looking spaces.

Faron

Yep-
    When I'm matching, it's always MUCH EASIER to add colorants when tweaking. It's a "B*tch" to take it back out...;-)

• jenes
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, what great answers.

• teresatree
    13 years ago

It you want to look at SW paint chips, pick up 6142 MACADAMIA, 6156 RAMIE, 6149 RELAXED KHAKI, 6157 FAVORITE TAN, 1142 GOURMET MUSHROOM, 2212 HEADLANDS, 2045 BOULEVARD BEIGE and 1134 MASTERPIECE TAN. These are the closest matches using the easyrgb site. Colorcharts is still not working for me. Hope this helps!