Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hit4show

Refinishing Knotty Pine Walls

hit4show
11 years ago

What I have. Bedroom w/ original (1954), vertical, 1x8, knotty pine, âÂÂvarnishedâÂÂ, âÂÂcar-sidingâ walls. The pine has not been refinished. The finish is not soluble in lacquer thinner, so it is not lacquer or shellac. Being old and soft pine, the walls are quite scratched up and there are the expected quantity of holes from nails for hanging stuff. The color is acceptable, but I want to fill holes and eliminate most of the scratches.

I have filler that color-matches close enough. I did a small, finish color test already: sanding bare and re-finishing with a water-based poly. The test area is essentially the same color as the original since the pine is so aged (dark). I plan to fill all the holes and then sand all the flats bare with an orbital attached to a shop vac. I will just scuff the edge grooves for adhesion. Trim will be just be scuffed except for more aggressive sanding to remove scratches where necessary.

What do you suggest I use for finish? I used just a very small container of the water-based poly for the color test and am not tied to that. Finish will not be sprayed. Color is ok as is, so I do not care about lightening with a glaze or anything.