Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanjn_gw

Painting a shiny brass light fixture

susanjn
10 years ago

I have a dated shiny fixture in my dining room. I'd like to try painting it.

What kind of paint do I use?
Is there any special prep involved?
Do I just take it outside and start spraying?
Is it harder than it looks? :)

Thanks! I've gained all my painting skills from this forum. My home is much more colorful because of you. (SW thanks you, too, I'm sure.)

Comments (6)

• Michael
    10 years ago

Wash it with Dirtex. Dry with a cloth.

Lightly sand with 320 between coats sandpaper. Lightly. Do no create scratches.

Use Rustoleum Ultra Cover metal primer. Apply two light coats a few minutes apart.

Use Rustoleum Painter's Touch as the top coat. Apply two light coats a few minutes apart.

Allow 24 hours before returning item to service.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

Or you wipe off any dust, tape over the areas where you don't want paint to land, and then take it outside and start spraying.

• Errant_gw
    10 years ago

LOL graywings! That's exactly what I did with a shiny brass oil lamp looking kitchen fixture in my first house. That house has long since been paid, and my youngest son lives there, now. The lamp is still in place and looks great.

• Michael
    10 years ago

Sorry. I'm used to giving professional advice for professional results.

:)

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

Or you can pick up some ASCP, CeCe Caldwell, American Paint Company, or Webster's milk paint and just paint. No prep and that stuff adheres to everything.

The thing is, once it's up you're going to touch it, what? Every month or so or when you notice a cob web? It's not like you're painting a refrigerator door that needs all that work.

Me? I'd go with the spray paint and if I ever remembered to dust, I'd do it lightly.

• susanjn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you! I'll probably do something in between. I prime just about anything I paint, so I'll do that. I'm kind of afraid to sand because of the danger of scratches. I'm not sure I have the feel for light sanding.

I love "if I ever remember to dust". That's me.

I'll try to post some before and after pics if I can be that organized. Then you can wonder why I bothered with such an ugly fixture.

Thanks again,
    Susan