Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting a shiny brass light fixture

Posted by susanjn (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 17, 14 at 0:59

I have a dated shiny fixture in my dining room. I'd like to try painting it.

What kind of paint do I use?
Is there any special prep involved?
Do I just take it outside and start spraying?
Is it harder than it looks? :)

Thanks! I've gained all my painting skills from this forum. My home is much more colorful because of you. (SW thanks you, too, I'm sure.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting a shiny brass light fixture

Wash it with Dirtex. Dry with a cloth.

Lightly sand with 320 between coats sandpaper. Lightly. Do no create scratches.

Use Rustoleum Ultra Cover metal primer. Apply two light coats a few minutes apart.

Use Rustoleum Painter's Touch as the top coat. Apply two light coats a few minutes apart.

Allow 24 hours before returning item to service.

o

Or you wipe off any dust, tape over the areas where you don't want paint to land, and then take it outside and start spraying.

o

LOL graywings! That's exactly what I did with a shiny brass oil lamp looking kitchen fixture in my first house. That house has long since been paid, and my youngest son lives there, now. The lamp is still in place and looks great.

o

Sorry. I'm used to giving professional advice for professional results.

:)

o

Or you can pick up some ASCP, CeCe Caldwell, American Paint Company, or Webster's milk paint and just paint. No prep and that stuff adheres to everything.

The thing is, once it's up you're going to touch it, what? Every month or so or when you notice a cob web? It's not like you're painting a refrigerator door that needs all that work.

Me? I'd go with the spray paint and if I ever remembered to dust, I'd do it lightly.

o

Thank you! I'll probably do something in between. I prime just about anything I paint, so I'll do that. I'm kind of afraid to sand because of the danger of scratches. I'm not sure I have the feel for light sanding.

I love "if I ever remember to dust". That's me.

I'll try to post some before and after pics if I can be that organized. Then you can wonder why I bothered with such an ugly fixture.

Thanks again,
Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here