Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jellytoast

Need advice on exterior paint job!!

jellytoast
10 years ago

I am painting some newly installed Hardi Plank siding. I painted the siding first and am now doing the trim.

I couldn't find much online about how to go about it. I did find one article that said to only paint the face of the trim. I did that, but it looks cheap IMHO. I also found a contractor's forum where there was a discussion about how painting just the face was in the "blow and go" category, but there was no information about how to actually paint the sides of trim.

Do I just paint a straight line maybe 1/4 of an inch around all of the outside edges of the trim? Or should I cut in around every single plank of siding where it meets the trim? I don't mind doing the extra work, I just want it to look nice. Please advise!!

This post was edited by jellytoast on Tue, Feb 11, 14 at 21:27

Comments (7)

• graywings123
    10 years ago

I don't know what the correct way to do it is, but I cut in around every single plank of siding.

• jellytoast
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That looks great graywings. And just what I was afraid of ... more work to go!! You did a very neat job, too ... impressive. Thank you so much for replying.

• paintguy22
    10 years ago

I agree the photo graywings has posted has the proper way to do it. I will say is that I paint the trim first and then do the siding....easier to make that line cutting the siding color to the trim boards than the other way around. Sometimes due to the heavy and irregular caulk beads, making a straight line is difficult. You just need to do your best. It's funny whenever I bid exterior painting projects, the customers always ask why it costs more to do 2 colors and this is why!

• Faron79
    10 years ago

Check Hardie's site for good tips, etc....

Their pdf-Warranty-pages are linked below. Lots of detail on their site!

Faron

Here is a link that might be useful: JamesHardie document...

• jellytoast
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Faron, I checked Hardi's site for info on whether or not to cut-in the trim before I posted. I didn't find any info on it.

Unfortunately, paintguy, I painted the siding first, and I definitely see what you mean ... cutting in the trim boards is not easy. Since I did the siding myself, there are not heavy and irregular caulk beads, but making a straight line from that angle is still not easy. "Doing my best" with "best" being a crooked line is not an option!

• paintguy22
    10 years ago

Well, maybe you could make your line stop right where the caulk begins. I think that's how it would look best.

• plumberry
    10 years ago

nice colors. may I ask what colors used on wall on trim? thank you!