Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wolfpackmom_gw

need a color to replace lowes rock candy

Wolfpackmom
11 years ago

My living room and dining room are painted Rocky Candy - Valspar from Lowes. Their new paint and primer cannot match the color and they keep coming up with yellow. I need help with replacing the color to paint a two story foyer and kitchen to match the liv rm and din rm. Rock Candy looks yellow in the can but goes on more like a light butterscotch color - very hard to describe. Maybe in the gold family? I have tried several BM colors - Golden Honey, Golden Straw, Country Comfort = everything is either too yellow or has too much orange in it....any suggestions??

Comments (3)

• Wolfpackmom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Color is ROCK CANDY - not rocky candy - sorry!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    11 years ago

Couple thoughts -

I don't understand why they can't match it. Have to assume there isn't a chip. Because whether the formula/colorants changed or not, someone could custom match to the chip.

If you don't have a chip from the store, you could also paint-out your own chip using leftover paint if you have any.

Chip from the store or a hand-painted sample - either way - you could take it to any paint store and using the chip/sample they could custom mix the color.

And if you don't have chip/sample, you can still go to another brand/store and have them mix the color using their database of other paint brand's formulas.

Lastly, could order a sample can from My Perfect Color and do any number of things. Paint out the sample and take it to have it matched, ask MPC to be sure to include the formula so you can take it to a BenM store, or just get the sample, test it and if it's right order directly from MPC.

Bottom line is just because one Lowe's store can't mix Rock Candy doesn't mean no one can.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Perfect Color

• Wolfpackmom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

funcolors - thank you for responding! I did bring the can in to Lowes, SW and BM. There was probably 1/4 can of paint left. Although it is 2 years old, the can has been kept indoors and held up nicely. I even used some of the paint to paint over scuff marks, etc. and it still matched perfectly. Not one of those three stores could match it because the color is no longer carried by lowes in their database. They were trying to match it by color alone - there was plenty in the can for them to make samples with it. We have literally had 15+ samples made and either too yellow or too much orange. It has been soo frustrating and exhausting on top of expensive since I have paid for most of these samples. I will contact MPC - it will be my last shot and I appreciate the help!