Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there a problem with painting with matte finish over eggshell?

Posted by sis2two (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 28, 11 at 22:00

I was told on the home decorating site that there is a problem with using matte over the eggshell. If this is true, my painter nor paint store said anything about it. Supposedly, the matte paint won't adhere good. I had a problem with a burnish area soon after it was painted. I just want to know if this is a problem from an expert in the paint field Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there a problem with painting with matte finish over eggsh

No problems at all!

If it was a Satin or higher sheen on the wall now, ideally it would be scuff-sanded b4 new paint goes on.
Then, when wall is thoroughly cleaned, apply you new paint.

Funny you mention a "burnish area" though...a Matte will be even MORE burnish-prone.
What kind of room-use are you painting??

Whenever customers are using Flat or Matte, I always quiz them about the room use!

Faron

o

Sis, I saw in your other post in home decorating that it had only been a week since you painted when the burnishing occurred. Faron will know more about this than I do, but since latex paint takes around a month to finish "curing" (hardening), it seems likely that it would be more prone to burnishing in that first month. I seem to remember someone else having this problem with moving furniture into a newly painted room, though the paint didn't seem so burnish-prone later on. Still, I tend to think of flat/matte finishes as being for looking pretty in rooms no one touches...not for "real life".

o

It's true that any washable paint will be more durable and resistant to burnishing after full cure, but matte paints are really not as durable as advertised. If you want real durability, use an eggshell.

o

Thanks for the responses. It was our family room that we painted in the matte finish. We decided to use it because the eggshell was so hard to touch up. Hope we can have the burnished place repainted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here