Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kcremodeler_gw

Cabinet paint - laquer or enamel?

KCRemodeler
12 years ago

I just posted this in the kitchens forum, and was recommended to post here, for all the pros to weigh in...

My apologies, I've gotta think this topic has been discussed several times before but I can't seem to find the right thread!

After spending some time researching between oil based and water based paint, I told my painter that I want to go with the new BM water based paint when he sprays the cabinets in two weeks. My cabinet maker threw me and recommended strongly that my painter use pre-catalyzed laquer (ML Campbell). His reasoning was that the laquer is much more durable, easier to apply (short dry time), and can be easily touched up by using laquer thinner to 'melt' the existing laquer to smooth over scratches/scuffs. I've seen the finish, and it does appear to be highly smooth and tough.

However, all the painted kitchens I've been tracking on GW I've noticed are using an oil or water based paint. So what's the real GW recommendation here?? Please help educate me as to why I don't want laquer finish? Many thanks!

Comment (1)