Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimcoco

BM Aura, Bathroom shower, need primer?

kimcoco
13 years ago

I've read that you don't need primer when using Aura paint. Most of the wall in the shower is tiled, but there is a small portion of the wall and the ceiling that needs to be painted. It's an open ceiling shower, meaning there is no "soffit" for lack of a better term, dividing the shower from the rest of the room. In other words, there is no "pocket" per se to capture moisture.

Wondering if I still need to use primer before using Aura paint?

Comments (5)

• Faron79
    13 years ago

1) Just wash wall/ceiling thoroughly with POWDERED Dirtex.
    2) Scuff-sand with 100-grit paper (walls only!).
    3) Wipe off all sanding dust.

Now you've got a clean, dulled surface with "tooth" to it. The new paint will now hold beautifully and wear well.

Let dry a day b4 the next hot shower!

Faron

• kimcoco
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What is the best way to rinse Dirtex from the walls / ceiling?

The problem is my bathtub has been refinished / recoated - so any harsh products are a no-no ... in other words, I don't let any product touch the coating other than a spray foam. I don't know if Dirtex would be one of them, but I err on the safe side.

• kimcoco
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What is the best way to rinse Dirtex from the walls / ceiling?

The problem is my bathtub has been refinished / recoated - so any harsh products are a no-no ... in other words, I don't let any product touch the coating other than a spray foam. I don't know if Dirtex would be one of them, but I err on the safe side.

• Faron79
    13 years ago

The reason I keep recommending powdered Dirtex is that it doesn't need rinsing!!
    It's mild and a good cleaner! A small box will last you 'til you retire probably!
    It instantly disappears in warm water. You don't need a dripping-wet sponge either. Just good and moist...and gently scrub the walls.

TSP is a good cleaner too....BUT...needs to be rinsed WELL, 2 OR 3 TIMES!

You'll have no problems with Dirtex. Your spray-foam may be harsher than Dirtex!

Faron

• kimcoco
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good to know...thanks