Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chardie_gw

Oy, What a Mess I've Created!

chardie
12 years ago

I had a kitchen re-do last year (!) and finally got around to painting the windows door frames and crown molding. I used painter's tape but waited too long to do the second coat (Christmas got in the way!). I pulled the tape off yesterday and took some of the sheetrock paper with it. Now I have to spackle next to my newly painted trim. I'm afraid to tape it for fear of the same thing happening. Should I use tape; if so how long do I wait? I used semi-gloss Sherwin Williams enamel latex, which I really like.

Also, last year the workers did some patching after I painted the walls and I stupidly painted over it instead of priming first so the finish is not as shiny in some spots. Do I go back and spot prime, or should I re-prime everything, which would be awful, given that it's a kitchen. Does paint fade noticeably in one year. The walls don't really get direct sunlight.

Comments (2)

• bpchiil
    12 years ago

Precisely why I personally don't use tape. Most tapes will tell you the number of days that you must remove it.

If you are down to the sheet rock and there is exposed paper, then will have to seal that area first (Zinsser or Kilz both make one), then spackle / mud it. If you don't, you could risk bubbling of the new paint.

Instead of wasting money on tape, take the money that you save and buy a real nice cut-in brush.

Good luck!

• paintguy22
    12 years ago

It might not even be the tapes fault. It might just be that you didn't break the seal between the tape and the wall before pulling the tape. If the tape has been on for so long and you don't break that seal, you could end up pulling drywall paper. You should score that line between the trim and the wall before pulling the tape with a sharp putty knife or razor knife.

As for the touching up, washable paints are hard to touch up just because they are shiny. The more time passes, the less shiny the paint becomes so when you slap up some fresh shiny paint the sheen doesn't really match. Also, you need to apply at least two coats over the patches to give them a chance to touch up. I would also use a roller and feather out the edges of your touch ups by lifting the roller off the surface as you roll away from the area. Don't mess around with spot priming with an actual primer. I would just do three coats using the actual paint. It still may not look perfect though because it's been a year.