Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pbx2_gw

EggShell or Flat on New Drywall?

pbx2_gw
11 years ago

Our painter suggested that flat would be better on new build's walls than eggshell.

Any real differences or concerns?

Comments (8)

• Faron79
    11 years ago

3 reasons for that suggestion:

1) Flats are cheaper. Contractor-grades are AMAZINGLY cheap. And I don't mean that in a good way!
    2) Flats are more forgiving on a less-than-perfect drywall job.
    3) Eggshells & higher sheens require a little more care.

Sometimes...a bid may be slightly higher if a painter knows sheened paints are being used.

>>> To be a more informed consumer, inquire as to the ACTUAL brand & series of paint to be used!
    * Retail-price-wise, flats range from ~$12/gal. to over $50!!
    * The cheap-o flats are barely worth the can they come in!
    * Learn a little about paints so your expectations & the Painters' will be closer!
    * Inquire about primer-types and how many paintcoats will be done.
    * Be aware too...lesser flats AREN'T cleanable. A decent Eggshell IS lightly washable.

Faron

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Be very careful what quality paint is used on your walls. Specify a good brand and line. "There's no paint more expensive than a cheap one!" as the saying goes.

Make sure he preps well too. Don't let anyone just paint over the dusty-build walls!

It is no fun to be dealing with the consequences of a builder's lousy cheap paint job years down the road. My old paint is flaking off the walls. Cheap paint, no primer, probably sprayed onto dusty walls.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    11 years ago

Gloss levels brand to brand are not equal. Flat is pretty much flat across all brands but once you get into the pearl, buff, eggshell, etc. territory you really should check out physical sheen samples and then decide.

If a matte is an option in the brand he wants to use, that would be my preference. Top tier mattes are a good compromise between flat and more durable eggshell.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    11 years ago

If a matte is an option in the brand he wants to use, that would be my preference. Top tier mattes are a good compromise between flat and more durable eggshell.

YES!

• pbx2_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, our brand is pretty reputable: Benjamin Moore Natura.
    Off the top of my head, I believe they do have a matte which sounds looks a good balance between flat & eggshell.

We really think the builder was trying to be conscious of not showing any possible shadows join the wall vs. our needs for some sheen & washability.

But thank goodness you folks chimed in on the possible cheapness of . e paint. Intuitively, we should be cognizant of this .

Last thing we want is falling dusty paint in a new home!

• graywings123
    11 years ago

Just a warning: Natura tends to dry up more quickly in the can as compared to other paints. This happened to my nephew, and my Ben Moore consultant confirmed it. Her store doesn't keep Natura in stock, they only special order it.

• Jumpilotmdm
    11 years ago

Only a wealthy man can afford cheap paint. I recommend Muralo Ultra Matte.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

My paint man prefers BM Aura over Muralo. Says there's nothing out there like it. He sells the Muralo mostly for trim (self leveling and very durable) comparable to oil but non yellowing over the years. Says it is a great paint, nevertheless.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County