Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bosspaige

Best Primer and Ceiling Paint for Smelly Old House

bosspaige
14 years ago

I am moving into an older home that has a lovely smell combination of cigarette smoke and cats (lovely I know). I am ripping out all the carpeting, am going to take down all the wallpaper and repaint the ceilings. Several people have said Kilz Primer is the best. I have read to clean the ceilings with TSP solution and some have said scrubbing bubbles.

My question is, is Kilz the best primer to cover the smell (after I wash and dry the ceilings)? And is there a "better" ceiling white paint than others. Thanks!

Comments (6)

• Faron79
    14 years ago

Yikes!!!

Smoke, Cats, & wallpaper removal...Oh my!!!!

Forget the Kilz!!!
    BIN-primer from Zinsser is the only choice here.
    * It's a Shellac-based primer in an alcohol base.
    * Lotsa apartment cleaners, etc. have to use this primer 'cuz it's the only thing that'll block cat urine, smoke, etc.
    * Fire-restoration contractors use it as well.
    * Apply 2 good coats.

Yes...TSP all very well, then RINSE VERY WELL... 2 or 3 times...let dry.

Ceiling-paint:
    Just buy a good top-line variety.
    * We've got C2's LOVO ceiling-paint, L8150 in our house...~$20/gal @ C2 dealers.
    * We also sell a ton of ACE-Royal ceiling-paint...$19.99/gal.

Faron

• PRO
  • pmacbee
    14 years ago

Aaaghhh, cat smell. Once you've got the carpet out, check the subfloor well for stains or smelly spots. We had to replace plywood subfloor in three spots in our last house to get rid of odor from former owner's cats. Best of luck with your project!

• PRO
    Air-ReNu, Inc.
    6 years ago

Odors are an ongoing problem for pet owners. There is a one-time
    application that will permanently resolve your odor and toxic air problems. The
    Ionic paint additive by Air-ReNu is an additive that you mix with house paint
    and apply to the walls of your home or office, turns the walls into a permanent
    air purification system. The ionic additive
    eliminates recurring pet, smoking, cooking odors and maintains healthy indoor
    air quality.

• PRO
    Paint sales at Home Depot
    6 years ago

Amen to BIN. Don't forget the floor after the carpet comes up. All soft materials, such as drapes have to go if they can't be washed in soap and water. Dry cleaning does not help.

Careful with some of those air freshener additives. some of them have sickening sweet, lingering smells as obnoxious as what it was suppose to be blocking. I had to BIN a bathroom to kill the "air freshener" additive.