Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tonyzzztony

Cost of painting the house

tonyzzztony
9 years ago

Just wondering how much would is cost to paint the interior or a 2800 sq ft house. Just an average paint job with mostly white color. Builder didn't use a primer when the house was first painted so not sure if that would be needed.

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    9 years ago

Builder didn't use a primer when the house was first painted so not sure if that would be needed.

They did not prime ANYTHING????????

• rmiriam
    9 years ago

Naturally, it depends where you are, etc. I got quotes for my 1200 sq ft house in Austin that were between $3500 and $6300. But I didn't trust the $3500 people. Everyone else was $5K and up.

• Plan9
    9 years ago

A good paint job is more than you want to spend.

Think about it. A good paint job on a car costs close to $8-10K. A car is a fraction of the size of a house.

A good paint job price wise is going to hurt.

The paint industry in this country has really done themselves a disservice over the last couple of decades with all the shoddy shoddy paint work out there.

• Faron79
    9 years ago

It ain't even remotely the "Paint-Industry" at fault here...

It's all the fly-by-nighters who "think" they can paint.
    Makes all the GOOD painters LOOK like they're charging too much. Then, most of the time, a homeowner has to find a REAL painter to do it all over again.

Faron

• Plan9
    9 years ago

That is true as well.

I was thinking along the lines of training programs, such as what occurs in Europe, Australia, New Zealand, etc to create good painters and weed the flakes out.

And educating the public of the benefits of hiring a trained painter. Raising the public's awareness of what a quality paint job is. Currently, in my opinion, the American public has low expectations for paint and an even a lower expectation for paying for quality work.

I've perused the so called "professional" painter forums, and 80% of what I see consists of how can I do this job as cheap and easy as possible. Not how can I do an excellent paint job.

Funny story: A couple years ago I had a young guy from craigslist out to clean the gutters out on my house. At this time, half of the ceiling of my porch was stripped. He proceeded to tell me that he painted as well and that I didn't need to scrape the paint on my porch.

He said he had a 3000 psi pressure washer that would take all the old paint off (as well as ruin the wood...).

I thought to myself that he would be the last person on Earth I would have do any painting at my house.