Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vertise

Painting Walls - Outside Corners

Vertise
11 years ago

How do you keep the adjoining outside corner clean from overage when rolling your walls? I have been wiping the edge of any excess but, of course, have to wait for the first wall to dry. Somehow I don't think people are doing this! Using Aura which dries so darn fast. Can't leave paint and rollers sitting around waiting for part of the room to dry.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sun, Jan 13, 13 at 18:19

Comments (12)

• paintguy22
    11 years ago

I will cut it in with a brush before rolling then roll tight to the corner.

• Vertise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

okay, will try that! More cutting in.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

You can leave brushes and paint rollers damp for a really long time...days or more...by wrapping them well in plastic wrap...it keeps the paint from drying. It has been very helpful for us to do this on many occasions...like when unexpected company shows up in the middle of a paint job!!!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    11 years ago

I never approach the edge with the freshly-loaded roller, I roll into corners and already-painted parts. Roll slightly off the corner, into air, as you rol;, never roll back onto the wall surface; that alone will build up a fat edge on the corner bead on the other side.
    Casey

• Vertise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the tips. I am honing my technique!

• chispa
    11 years ago

Wrap your rollers in plastic and then store them in the fridge. The roller will still be wet days/weeks later. I use supermarket plastic bags and wrap 2 or 3 around the rollers. Paintbrushes always get cleaned.

• Vertise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I will try this. I usually wrap with a plastic bag but overnight seemed to be too long. Roller seemed a bit matty.

Do you scrape excess paint out first? The guy at the paint store told me to do that before washing the rollers. Wow a lot of paint came out. But it became streaky with something so I threw it out. Maybe I scraped too deep. It was almost like rust, lots of very tiny little dark pigments of something.

• paintguy22
    11 years ago

I wrap my covers in plastic and they stay good for months. As long as no air is getting in, it will take pretty long for them to dry out. I don't know what putting them in the fridge will do. Put some beer in there instead?

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

Cut your corners in just like you would the ceiling line or trim areas with a brush.

Re - rollers and brushes drying out: If I need to stop for even a break, I will slide my pan of paint and my roller and brushes into a plastic bag so that they don't dry.

When painting a cabinet with SW Pro-classics (which thickens/dries VERY QUICKLY, I would even slide my brush into a bag if I was taking a 5 MINUTE break. That stuff messes up fast.

I will also wash/clean my brush fairly often when working with these more difficult to use paints (like every two hours). Protects your brushes and keeps dried flecks out of your paint.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I paint outside corners with a brush, very slowly and I lift the brush up as I approach the edge so as not to leave a bead of paint on it....slowly to prevent any "flicking" of the bristles as they run off the wall.

• Vertise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I will try the brush on the corners.

Tuesday, that is so true about these paints drying so fast! I'm really going to have difficulty with that I think. I used an oil primer on the cabinet and said I would not use oil again. When I moved on to Aura on the walls, I was having the same thing happen with the paint getting gummy so quickly. There is just no time to work or go back and fix something. And I don't think I am being slow! lol

• Vertise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone for your help!