Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RED room White Bookcase need help please

Posted by Nola2007 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 9, 14 at 18:02

So I was dead set on having a red dining room. I was going for a color I had in the past 'Cajun Spice' but it's discontinued and I ended up a little too primary red. I plan to go a little darker if I keep the red.

Then I had white bookcases installed and decided to leave the back open. My dilemma is that I just don't love the way it looks. And I haven't had an easy time decorating. I either want to:

1) paint the inside back of bookcase wall white
2) have the bookcase refinished with a solid backing instead of opening to wall
3) paint entire room a neutral color and leave red behind bookcase
4) something I haven't thought of

Try to ignore the cluttered shelves, we haven't used this room yet because of the poor lighting, we have a better solution on order and electrician on standby.

The farm table is a staple, the chairs are temporary, awaiting everything else to fall into place.

There is another bookcase mirroring this one, a solid wall and then the wall with two windows. I will upload pics of those angles if I can.

Please give me your opinions about how to change this room color to achieve a more pleasing atmosphere. I am partial to keeping red, but just don't know how to make it work. Thanks for any advise!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RED room White Bookcase need help please

Alt view 1

o

Atl view 2

This post was edited by Nola2007 on Thu, Jan 9, 14 at 18:13

o

Alt view 3

o

The doorway to the "Navy" Entry has since been cased with a white trim to separate the rooms.

o

I would paint the back of the bookcases to match the white. I would also consider adding doors to some of the shelves as it is a lot of horizontal lines in the room and it looks like you might appreciate having more storage, fewer shelves to fill.

o

You have extremely nice bookcases, therefore, I would address that issue first. They typically will be a long-term fixture in your home, but paint colors will more than likely change throughout the years.

Have you carpenter or cabinet maker or someone put backs on the cabinets. You can always add interest to the back of the bookcases with paint, fabric covered foam boards, craft paper etc.

By the way, I love your red walls. But keep in mind, adding backs to the bookcases will give you much greater decorating flexibility in the future if and when you need to "redecorate".

o

Thank you both for your suggestions. I am going to have the bookcases taken down and have a back added, which will be painted white. I will also talk to the carpenter about how to add cabinets. Very much appreciate your input! I hate spending money and then having to fix it!

o

Thank you both for your suggestions. I am going to have the bookcases taken down and have a back added, which will be painted white. I will also talk to the carpenter about how to add cabinets. Very much appreciate your input! I hate spending money and then having to fix it!

o

• Posted by jcalhoun 8b Mobile County AL (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 13, 14 at 5:23

I'd like to see the walls a very light slate blue/gray or light gray/green. Maybe a pastel yellow or ivory to brighten the room.

The bookcases would look nice white with backers in a stained wood similar to your floors. Sort of a golden oak color. Wood paneling would work.

This post was edited by jcalhoun on Mon, Jan 13, 14 at 5:29

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here