Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there a Sherwin Williams paint comparable to Aura

Posted by sis2two (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 17:49

I have used mostly Benjamin Moore's Aura paint in my home with the exception of two rooms painted with Ellen Kennon paints. Recently I have found colors that I really like in the Sherwin Williams line. I thought about having them mixed at Benjamin Moore but have heard it's difficult to get an exact match when you try doing that. So my question is what paint do you recommend in the Sherwin Williams line that may be comparable to Aura paint. Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there a Sherwin Williams paint comparable to Aura

None to compare with Aura, BM can match any of SW's colors, no problem.At least they SHOULD be able to.

o

Why do you say none compare to Aura? What sets it apart in your mind? Application, appearance, durability?

This post was edited by snookums2 on Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 12:19

o

I have used Aura exclusively inside my home since trying it in 2007. I have used colors from BM's regular and affinity pallettes, and had 3 SW colors mixed in Aura. No issues.

o

Have you tried washing fingermarks, splatters off of it?

o

Sherwin Williams has introduced their Emerald paint to compete with Aura. I have not tried it yet.

o

A number of people who have used it say that it does not wash well even gently.

o

Rmerald is not even close.Aura uses an exclusive tinting system. It washes well, goes on well touches up well, does everything well.
Only problem with it is the cost.

o

So its the colorants that do the color lock? Not something in the base? I was thinking of making my own full spectrum with artist acrylics in the Aura base (I consider this fun!).

o

here you go

Here is a link that might be useful: aura

o

So it sounds like a combination of both. I might just use their paints to mix instead. Would sure like to try something like that but I don't think I'd be up for re-painting a large area if the color fades away. Too late for the powder room!

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sat, Feb 2, 13 at 19:56

o

aura will not fade

o

"Rmerald is not even close."
Could you be more specific about why?

o

In the Sherwin Williams crossover booklet, Duration Home is listed next to BM Aura, so according to SW, Duration would be the most comparable paint. I used Duration to paint my bathroom without any problems. One thing I noticed is the finish won't leave marks from wiping dirt marks. I would use it again. I haven't tried Emerald yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sherwin Williams Duration Paint Review

o

Duration may br close but SW does not have the same colorant base as BM To kitchendetective, Aura is in a class by itself, I am not promoting it, it just is at this point.

o

Well, I do have a rep from SW that keeps calling me trying to get me to buy more from their store and he's constanly telling me to try the Emerald because it's just like Aura and it was made to compete with Aura. So, that is where I'm getting my information. I have used Duration Home and I can say in the matte sheen at least, that this paint is complete garbage. Also, I never liked the texture of Duration so I stay away from it. I paint mostly smooth drywall though. This won't be a factor if you have textured walls.

o

I can tell you, for a fact, from experience, that Emerald in in no way, not close,not in the same universe as Aura. It is nice enough paint, don't get me wrong, but for the price, I would pay the extra for Aura all day long.

o

I think it's in the same universe, but perhaps a different galaxy.

o

I'll accept that (:,)

o

Does anything from Dunn Edwards compare with Aura?

o

no, at this point in time there is no other paint on the market that compares equally

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here