Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sis2two

Is there a Sherwin Williams paint comparable to Aura

sis2two
11 years ago

I have used mostly Benjamin Moore's Aura paint in my home with the exception of two rooms painted with Ellen Kennon paints. Recently I have found colors that I really like in the Sherwin Williams line. I thought about having them mixed at Benjamin Moore but have heard it's difficult to get an exact match when you try doing that. So my question is what paint do you recommend in the Sherwin Williams line that may be comparable to Aura paint. Thanks in advance.

Comments (20)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    11 years ago

None to compare with Aura, BM can match any of SW's colors, no problem.At least they SHOULD be able to.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Why do you say none compare to Aura? What sets it apart in your mind? Application, appearance, durability?

This post was edited by snookums2 on Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 12:19

• trk65
    11 years ago

I have used Aura exclusively inside my home since trying it in 2007. I have used colors from BM's regular and affinity pallettes, and had 3 SW colors mixed in Aura. No issues.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Have you tried washing fingermarks, splatters off of it?

• paintguy22
    11 years ago

Sherwin Williams has introduced their Emerald paint to compete with Aura. I have not tried it yet.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

A number of people who have used it say that it does not wash well even gently.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

So its the colorants that do the color lock? Not something in the base? I was thinking of making my own full spectrum with artist acrylics in the Aura base (I consider this fun!).

• PRO
    11 years ago

here you go

Here is a link that might be useful: aura

• Vertise
    11 years ago

So it sounds like a combination of both. I might just use their paints to mix instead. Would sure like to try something like that but I don't think I'd be up for re-painting a large area if the color fades away. Too late for the powder room!

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sat, Feb 2, 13 at 19:56

• PRO
    11 years ago

aura will not fade

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

"Rmerald is not even close."
    Could you be more specific about why?

• painter325
    11 years ago

In the Sherwin Williams crossover booklet, Duration Home is listed next to BM Aura, so according to SW, Duration would be the most comparable paint. I used Duration to paint my bathroom without any problems. One thing I noticed is the finish won't leave marks from wiping dirt marks. I would use it again. I haven't tried Emerald yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sherwin Williams Duration Paint Review

• PRO
    11 years ago

Duration may br close but SW does not have the same colorant base as BM To kitchendetective, Aura is in a class by itself, I am not promoting it, it just is at this point.

• paintguy22
    11 years ago

Well, I do have a rep from SW that keeps calling me trying to get me to buy more from their store and he's constanly telling me to try the Emerald because it's just like Aura and it was made to compete with Aura. So, that is where I'm getting my information. I have used Duration Home and I can say in the matte sheen at least, that this paint is complete garbage. Also, I never liked the texture of Duration so I stay away from it. I paint mostly smooth drywall though. This won't be a factor if you have textured walls.

• PRO
    11 years ago

I can tell you, for a fact, from experience, that Emerald in in no way, not close,not in the same universe as Aura. It is nice enough paint, don't get me wrong, but for the price, I would pay the extra for Aura all day long.

• Michael
    11 years ago

I think it's in the same universe, but perhaps a different galaxy.

• PRO
    11 years ago

I'll accept that (:,)

• wolfgang80
    11 years ago

Does anything from Dunn Edwards compare with Aura?

• PRO
    11 years ago

no, at this point in time there is no other paint on the market that compares equally