Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice for wood and wall primer

Posted by obrionusa (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 31, 12 at 17:44

I just got done lightly sanding some knotty wood pine that is half way up on my kithen walls. The finish is polyurethane and some light stain. The rest of the walls are drywall. I flled the nail holes and minor imperfections with joint compound. Is there a primer I can use for both the knotty pine and the drywall so I only have one mess to clean up? I have pva primer/sealer, high hiding latex and multi purpose oil. I would rather not use the oil. The finish is pro-mar 200 eggshell.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice for wood and wall primer

Sincerely....
NONE of your above!!

Get some Zinsser Bullseye-123 Latex primer.
Many stores have this.
DO NOT use the cheap PVA/Drywall-only primers.
Even better...if you're near a C2 retailer, get their C2-One primer. Both 123 & the C2 are ~$20/gal. avg.

Apply a good/full coat of 123, and you're good-to-go!

Faron

o

BIN primer, or some other alcohol based shellac primer is the only thing I know that will keep the knots from eventually bleeding through. I find that stained & polyed surfaces usually have at least some bleed through if you use just latex primer.

My minimum recommendation is to BIN the knots and any visible sap streaks, preferably twice. Then once the knots are binned, apply Zinsser 1-2-3 as Faron suggested. If you get bleeding anywhere through the 1-2-3, Bin the whole thing before topcoating with good acrylic paint.

o

If her "Poly" layer is still intact, that should be good 98% of the time for not allowing bleed-through.

But no....the BIN isn't a wrong choice either, for the knots only of course.
Just a lot smellier!

Faron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here