Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimcoco

in dire need of paint color suggestions for basement

kimcoco
14 years ago

We have a 1920's home with a drop ceiling basement and brown 70's paneling in most the living area, but the laundry room itself is open wood beams on the ceiling, with pipes, conduit, vents, etc. running in every direction, unpainted. The walls are exposed cinder block previously painted and dreary looking, along with some sad amateur looking shelves.

The "living areas" with the drop ceiling - we will be spraying the drop ceiling black. I realize this may make the ceiling look shorter, but such is life. The drop ceiling is old and dingy looking, we've put enough money in this house and don't want to spend a great deal in this area, but it definitely needs a face lift. The paneling will be painted as well. While the rest of our house is traditional, our basement will be decorated more contemporary as our old furniture from our apartment living days is contemporary, but I think the key is to stay with warm colors throughout.

The exposed beam ceiling in the laundry room will probably be painted BM Linen White, just to give a clean brighter look in there, but I'm guessing this will be a huge undertaking as I have to figure out how to paint around all those pipes. Not sure if the pipes should be painted or not - galvanized steel, copper, cable wires, vents, etc.

I am looking for suggestions on a wall color for the laundry room, and for the other living areas. We'll also be adding some custom wood shelves in the laundry room which is a workshop/laundry area all in one, and I'm trying to decide if I should paint the shelving the same colors as the wall or the ceiling. Should they blend or stand out?

We tiled the basement floor with alternating charcoal and light grey ceramic tiles that we got on clearance at a discount warehouse years back, a decision on a whim, so we're stuck with that. Going back, I wouldn't have chosen grey. I would consider this a cool/neutral color, though I prefer warm colors on the walls. Regardless, I have oriental rugs everywhere, so it will have a somewhat eclectic look I suppose.

The laundry room floor is not tiled, but it will be painted with a floor paint. Suggestions? Has anyone done this? I have a can of black floor paint that I've never used. Too dark?

The rest of my house has warm colors throughout. I like yellows, but nothing canary-ish. Some examples are P&L Popcorn, Caramel Tint & Bay Rum. Also SW Viva Gold. My friend has BM Pine Brook in her living room (interior decorator), and it's fabulous, I'd love to try in my basement, but I fear it will look too dreary as it's a deep color. I dislike MOST pastels, pinks, blues, light green and beige/neutrals. I love rich colors, nice deep reds, but again I fear it will be too dark.

I was looking at my paint cans in the basement, and the colors throughout my house that look good upstairs, don't look the same with the basement lighting, and that's what I've read everywhere about choosing colors for basements, the light doesn't reflect the same.

We have glass block windows that let some light in, but not really a bright basement by any standard. Most of the lighting is fluorescent (unfortunately), but may eventually be replaced with canned lighting...not sure at this point in time.

My original thought for the paneling was BM Philadelphia Cream (a historical color), as I think this is a great combo with the black, but undecided as of yet.

I'd like suggestions for paint colors, and pics would be spectacular to give me ideas. My basement really needs a facelift.

Comments (7)

• fnmroberts
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

We too have a basement with little natural light. There is no solution except to provide plenty of artificial illumination. You mention there are fluorescents, perhaps you can add some wall sconces, table lamps or floor up-lights to change the character without having to change out the existing ceiling lighting right away.

Personally, I would make the ceiling white. I have no knowledge about painting ceiling tiles but in an already dark space I believe a white ceiling helps brighten the area. In the open room, yes, black will disguise all of the plumbing into the joists. Paint all the plumbing, heating ducts and wire black too. Lots of brush work, I've done it!

Our basement is largely white with accent colors to separate various areas. Grey tile floor with accent rugs. Lots of colorful art on the walls. Photos are viewable from the link below. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Basement

• kimcoco
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks. Nice basement. We have the drop ceiling panels, rather than the drywall. I'm debating on whether I should roll them or purchase a sprayer. I give you credit for painting by hand - the paint store told me, no way, you'd use too much paint. LOL.

Nice artwork. Nice liquor collection too.

I see you have contemporary in the basement, and traditional upstairs, like us. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Did you build that bar yourself? If so, how? I like the glass blocks, but wondering about the countertop?

• fnmroberts
    14 years ago

Thank you for the compliment.

As I mentioned, I have no idea about painting ceiling tile. Guess you could purchase a roller and try a couple and if that doesn't give satisfactory results go the sprayer route. Might check a local rental about a sprayer.

Everything in our basement is DIY. Designed and built by us. If you go back to the photos, I have provided commentary about many of them below the pictures.

As to the bar, basically I built a plywood frame onto which the top is attached. The frame fits into routed 2 x 4's anchored to the floor. The bar top is 2, 3/4" plywood sheets (plus an additional stiffener on the edges, covered with 1/2" concrete board then with 8 x 8 floor tile as the surface. The glass block are not structural but I did run metal reinforcement between some rows which then anchor to the underside of the bartop.

The bar face accent lighting is rope light and the color was achieved by installing theatrical lighting film over the rope lights. This was the only solution I could come up with to achieve the color we wanted.

Happy to help, you're in WI and I'm in Northern IL - stop by and lean for awhile.

• slateberry
    14 years ago

fnmroberts, I know you don't intend for your bar area to function as a full kitchen, but it is so cool I think you should post it on the finished kitchens blog. Very inspiring!

• kimcoco
    Original Author
    14 years ago

FMRoberts, what a fantastic job. My husband says your basement "kicks ***". Now he's determined to install a bar area.

Where did you get the french doors? I like the privacy glass.

How difficult was it to construct the glass block around the bar? Where would I look for theatrical lighting film? How creative.

• fnmroberts
    14 years ago

I ordered the French Doors through a lumber yard. Had to have them delivered "knocked down" because pre-hung units would not make it down the stairs. Home Centers were unable to have them delivered knocked down. They came primed and we painted them. The glass has been frosted with a 3M window film available from Home Centers.
    I obtained the theatrical film from a specilty lighting place in, I believe, Skokie IL. I'll try to find the paperwork this week for you. It's been several years so no idea if they are still in business. It was an investment but I can tell you that blue rope lights delivered turquois color and DW was not going for that!

Buy the glass block and construct the glass block wall first! VOICE OF EXPERIENCE We did it last and it was a "*itch" getting the last row in place. We purchased sufficient block to define their placement and height in order to size the bar but thought installing them last was the correct sequence - smarter now for your benefit. Installing the block was relatively simple - if you've ever mixed any mortar, have a level, rubber mallot and a straight line you're set. It took us parts of 2 days to built it. Purchased from Menards and they and the manufactures website gave us the need-to-know information. The corner blocks are the expensive part but made the look we wanted.

We use the bar often. Not just for entertaining, but for project work space and for food prep of things when lots of counter space is needed. Rule here is we do not carry things to the basement and just set them on the bar! We would truly miss not having a second kitchen.

Best of luck with yours. I'll see if I have info on the film and post here if I do.

• fnmroberts
    14 years ago

kimcoco

As I don't want an issue raised that I might be promoting a product on the forum, please e-mail me from the "My Page" link and I'll reply with info I have about the lighting film.