Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting Help!!!

Posted by MNT2009 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 2, 11 at 16:49

I recently moved into a new place and attempted to paint over an ugly rust/orange color. I decided to prime (latex) the entire wall. To my horror after I was finished I discovered numerous bubbles over the wall just primed, some bubbles were about the size of a quarter. Being extremely frustrated I grabbed a paint scraper and scraped them off. When I was scraping them off I noticed I was peeling off the old orange paint as well. The primer pulled the old paint (orange color) from a previous color underneath (white). I thought maybe there was an oil paint in there. I googled how to tell if the paint is oil, I came up with the denatured alcohol test, both the orange paint and the white paint underneath the primer were coming up with denatured alcohol. Indicating both paints were latex (?) I am so lost, and frustrated. I am attempting to scrape off the entire wall that was covered with orange paint and primer over it. The only thing I can think of is the primer bonded to orange paint separating it form the the white paint underneath. Does anyone know why this would happen? How do I go about fixing this, once I scrap the entire wall. Please Help...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting Help!!!

This is actually fairly common. There is a chance that the bubbles will go away in a few days if you let them dry. What is happening is that one of the layers of paint is not adhered, so when you apply new paint, the sheer weight of that paint and the moisture that you are applying to the wall work as a team to loosen whatever is not fully adhered. Whatever is not stuck is what will bubble. Sometimes when the moisture dries out, the bubble will recede and disappear. So, let all your bubbles appear, let the wall dry and then cut out the bubbles that did not go away with a utility knife. After you cut the bubbles out, sand those areas. The idea here is to dull the wall to improve adhesion. After sanding, spot prime with a bonding latex primer, then patch, sand and paint like normal. If you didn't see any bubbles before you started painting, then there is a good chance that they will all go away though as the paint dries and you may not have to do any cutting out at all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here