Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jkpita

Prep help for repainting windows-interior

jkpita
10 years ago

Our home is about 20 years old (windows, too). We think the windows and interior trim were originally dark in color and were painted white, probably 5-7 years ago. Exterior of windows is aluminum and in good shape. House gets east and west sun exposure and west-facing windows are in the worst shape.

The white paint is peeling off. I know it will need to be sanded to remove the peeling paint. I will also sand where it is not peeling to help the primer adhere.

I would like some recommendations on products to use. As you can see from the photo, some of the wood is quite dried-out looking. It is not rotting or soft where the paint has peeled.

Will a primer be enough on the bare wood?

Should I put anything under the primer on the bare wood to ensure a long-lasting result, such as an epoxy-pentrating sealer?

What are good paint choices for windows and trim? I prefer water-based if possible. I've used Aura on walls but not thrilled with it's performance in baths, so I am open to other suggestions.

Thank you.

Comments (4)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    10 years ago

Looks pretty rotten to me. You need to fix the moisture issue before anything else. Also probably a lead issue

• jkpita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Interior of window and trim were originally stained. Painted 5 or 7 years ago by previous owners. I think it is latex based paint. Definitely not a lead issue. I do think the windows were not prepped properly- probably painted only, with no primer base.

• sandy808
    10 years ago

The previous owner may have used a water based paint, with no primer, over the stain. Once something has been stained you would probably need an oil based paint, unless there is a primer available nowadays that is able to bridge the two successfully.

If you have a trusted paint store, with knowledgeable staff, that is where I would start. I am sure there are good primers available that you can use prior to painting. Our local paint store suggested a primer called "Stix" for painting exterior doors, including new factory primed doors. It looks and sounds impressive, but I have not used it yet.

I would think a good sanding that removes all the old paint and any gloss followed by a proper primer will get your windows on their way to looking new again.

I used epoxy paint several years ago on unpainted wood windows. It was a product meant to paint boats and I applied it exactly as the manufacturer required. It peeled within a couple of years. Epoxy paints may have improved by now, but I've been burned by it and am not interested in repeating that experience.

• Faron79
    10 years ago

Jeez...that looks like H&LL!

Do you get a lot of condensation in where that damage is?
    Is this only occurring on the lower parts of sides?

Push something hard like a nail into the wood. You'll know right away if it's spongy.
    Let us know.
    And...can you post a couple clearer pics?

Faron

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County