Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lam702

paint/polyurethane question

lam702
10 years ago

I am planning to paint my dark oak bath cabinets white. I've read many different opinions as to what type of paint. Some prefer oil based for durability, but it yellows over time. Others say latex is fine, won't yellow but not as durable as oil based. So, excuse me if the following question sound dumb, I am just trying to figure out the best product that will give me a hard finish that can tolerate the moisture of a bathroom. Would it be possible to use a latex paint, (primed first, of course) with a few coats of a water based polyurethane on top? Or is that a bad idea? Would that combination be more durable and keep the white from yellowing? I have had suggestions of both BM Aura or Advance paint but also some concerns about water streak marks with the Aura, and also, since they are water clean up oils, might they still yellow over time? I've used oil based polyurethanes a lot, and although they do give a hard finish, they do tend to yellow, but I haven't heard that the poly types do. Thoughts?

Comment (1)