Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wendyb_gw4

Durability vs. Touch-up-ability: Aura vs. Regal Select: Matte

WendyB 5A/MA
10 years ago

I am leaning towards matte for my living room accent wall project because:

(1) builder used Flat (contractor BM) on other walls that I have no desire to paint whole area, and

(2) I am liking the fact that nail holes can be patched and touched up nicely (my decor is a lot of trial and error and things move a lot!). Is that just as true with Matte as true with Flat?

(3) I just used the Aura Matte Bath&Spa in 2 baths and liked the look of the matte, even tho I've always used eggshell. Although I do get a little blotchiness here and there with Aura, not sure why. I always have. Not enough mixing?

But, I am noticing that the existing builder's Flat shows black scuff marks very easily. Even the Aura matte got a little scratched while putting a picture back up.

So I am wondering if Regal Select Matte will be even less durable than Aura. Mostly it seems that Regal is becoming more like Aura. What is the distinction now?

Will I get more durability with Aura? Not sure its worth the premium cost for one wall.

Is the good touchup-ability coming from the Matte or the Aura?

This is getting like buying light bulbs... too many variables!!! :-)

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    10 years ago

Will I get more durability with Aura?
    yes
    Is the good touchup-ability coming from the Matte or the Aura
    better with the matte
    if you are just doing 1 wall I would go with the Regal matte

• paintguy22
    10 years ago

The flatter the sheen, the easier it will be to touch up. Sheen is usually what makes touching up more difficult.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

If you are experiencing blotchiness with the Aura, you may wish to check the rolling instructions for Aura. It is different than normal paint rolling. (See the other thread on Aura).

I've had no issues with several different sheens of BM Aura (like those reported). Found the coverage to be excellent, as you would expect. I've done the painting myself and had some professionally applied.

This post was edited by gooster on Wed, Jan 29, 14 at 14:24

• WendyB 5A/MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So what about Regal Classic vs. Regal Select? The place I went to only carries Classic. If I am not doing Aura, I really should get the best Regal there is, right? Now its a 3-way choice... and I was having trouble with a 2-way choice!

Durability?
    touchupability?
    coverage/hide? (LRV is 23. I think he said 8oz colorant which was okay but less than ideal)
    washability?
    odor, eco-ness?
    what else?

• PRO
    10 years ago

just get the regal select and be done with it

• WendyB 5A/MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I thought I was. I didn't realize it was Classic til I got home. :-( I just assumed it was the latest and greatest.

Now I have to decide whether to bring it back or not and travel another 10 miles to a store that carries Select. I called the retailer and explained and he agreed to refund my money if I wanted to. Very classy move. They are an excellent retailer and the guy is always eager to discuss all things painting. Gives me lots of tips. We even had a detailed conversation about 2nd generation formulas and ounces of colorant and coverage and LRV's and what makes Aura different. He knows his stuff well. I can't believe he is not selling Select!!!

Is Select worth that inconvenience? I certainly prefer Select in principle but not really sure of scope of differences.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

The Classic dries slower but it is being discontinued, so if down the road you need to do a repair and touch up, you won't be able to purchase it.

It's very dry around here now (around 35% humidity inside). I found Select to go on like gummy glue with the first roll and the texture ended up being awful. It did not seem to do much in the way of leveling. Maybe thinning it with extender or water would help but be aware before you trash nice smooth walls. No amount of quick application would have mattered. First roll.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 12:41

• paintguy22
    10 years ago

Classic uses the old tints. Regal Select uses the new Gennex colorants (the ones used to tint Aura). This means the paint will dry faster because the colorants are acrylic and the paint should cover better. I would say though the differences in quality between Classic and Regal Select are minimal, if any. In other words, you won't notice a difference.

• PRO
  • WendyB 5A/MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I decided to return the Classic afterall. I saw that the label had a 2011 copyright on it (which I realize is not the same as a manufactured date). Plus,the can was thoroughly dusty. I decided I did not want old paint and that the retailer needs to know that he should be stocking the latest products. I sent a consumer message. If it was on sale for half-price as a clearance item, perhaps I would have been motivated. But for the same price, why should I get old paint. This stuff ain't cheap!!!

• PRO
    7 years ago

Both are highly cleanable when cured.... That is the important part for most all paints

• paintguy22
    7 years ago

I will only use Aura on the walls if the customer wants a matte finish. If they want eggshell, I will use the Regal Select. The Aura eggshell started leaving lap lines behind and I tried a number of things to correct that and eventually threw in the towel and stopped using it. Also, I had a few bathroom jobs where I used Aura eggshell and the moisture from the shower was leaving these streak lines that couldn't be wiped away so it's not a good bathroom paint either.

• b dijk
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Wallnuts, what a great comment. I asked BM those questions and they told me Aura is just as easy to apply. I had read many people saying Regal is easier if you are not used to either, and you have explained why! Also great news on the durability front. the weird thing is that the painting video for Regal and Aura on youtube by BM suggests painting the same method. Edit: no they do not, the Regal needs a a W first, Aura just up and downrolling! Plus it is not clear to me if when cutting in, they are doing it fast enough to maintain a wet edge, or not. Yes, in the Aura one they say to let the cut in dry but in the Regal you cut in less and keep it wet. What I do not understand as a beginner, is how to avoid picture framing then. Plus, are there no brush stroke problems because the Aura self levels? But then if the Regal levels less, how do you avoid brush strokes with Regal if not keeping a wet edge? Do people go over it with a 4 inch roller in the direction of the brush?

• PRO
    Luke Hagenbach Real Estate
    3 years ago

@b dijk did you ever get an answer to your question regarding letting the cut in dry vs keeping a wet edge for either Aura or Regal Select?