Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to get rid of pinholes?

Posted by jeri (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 26, 13 at 14:51

Hi Everyone!

I painted the trim in the picture below with Benjamin Moore Waterborne Satin Impervo. The trim was flat on saw horses when painted. Although it looked fine when first painted, after it dried it left tiny pinholes in the groves. Unfortunately, subsequent applications yield the same result. :-\

How can I get rid of the holes and have a nice smooth finish?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to get rid of pinholes?

How about the pinholes in joint compound too? Will a second coat of paint fill these in? One does not!

o

I think the pinholes are tiny bubbles that burst as they dry, leaving tiny craters. Some paint has more of a tendency to foam up, but the impervo wasn't one of them as far as I recall. New formula? Better brushing technique?
Pinholes in mud never fill with paint. Use spackle after priming, then spot prime, let dry fully, and paint.
Casey

o

Thanks. Doesn't seem like it will.

o

I had some of those turn up in crevices also (Kilz oil primer). I cut them with a utility knife and probably sanded a bit before next coat to get rid of them. Will watch for air bubbles next round!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here