Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arapahord

Oil trim/door paint

Arapaho-Rd
16 years ago

Hi, I am new to this forum and would love your help with this. My painter used oil-based paint for all the trim, doors and crown molding. I didn't realize that white oil paint actually yellows somewhat over time. Is there anyway I can successfully use latex over this? Thanks for your help.

Comments (8)

• Faron79
    16 years ago

Hi Arapaho!
    Hmmmm....
    Simple answer is YES, you can use a new Latex over your Oil....
    IF its cured enough to lightly scuff-sand. This enables new paints to "grip" to the sanded profile.

However...you're creating "work" to avoid a "slow-motion" problem. Some Oil formulations yellow faster than others.

Final call is yours obviously, but if the existing finish looks nice, I might just live with it....cheaper that way!

Was anything specific to "materials used" stated in a contract? Some painters just can't get past the "Oils-only for trims/doors" mindset.

Faron

• texanjana
    16 years ago

I don't mean to hijack, but my painter told me since oil was originally used on the trim he had to use oil over it again. I didn't feel educated enough to argue. It smells so bad!

• Arapaho-Rd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This was my first time hiring a painter so there wasn't a contract and she just stated that she likes to use oil for the trim. I didn't know any better so I didn't question it. Now I hear that oil may no longer be available. Also the white trim is turning somewhat yellow and the sheen seems to be fading. Would I need to use a primer and which would be best? Thanks for your help.

• Michael
    16 years ago

No primer required.

Here's what is required to repaint an alkyd (oil) trim.

Clean with Dirtex. The surface must be clean.
    Dull by lightly sanding with #180 sanding sponge.
    Use a wet sanding sponge and it's easier to wipe away
    the sanding residue.

Caulk any gaps between trim and wallboards, door jambs, baseboard and wall, etc. Allow caulk to dry at least 4 hours.

Apply two coats of SW Pro Classic, Cabinet Coat, Muralo Satin, or BM Satin Impervo. All in waterborne formulations.

You are now done with oil based paint.!!! Life is good.

Michael

• Michael
    16 years ago

I'm sorry, Texan..I forgot to reply to your question.

NO..NO..NO...you are not required to paint oil over oil.

Hire a new painter. *S*

Michael

• Faron79
    16 years ago

Similiar note here...
    Had a seminar tonight when a Chemist from Valspar was at our store.
    California's "Quart exemption" for Oil paints will almost certainly be gone by/in 2010. If Oil/Alkyd VOC's can't get below 150g/l., it's "game over".

The "death-bell" for Oils is starting to gonnnnngggg....
    AND...there's a whole lotta painters' out there who are just gonna have to get used to it.

Faron

• Michael
    16 years ago

Or leave the trade..

Michael

• Arapaho-Rd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again for all the good information. It's a big help. I think I was charged what a professional painter would charge but what I got was a quick paint job that isn't holding up.

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts