Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
riknportland

painting 'outer space' theme in kids bedroom

riknportland
17 years ago

Hello,

I want to paint my sons bedroom in an outer-space theme. I want to paint the walls navy/dark blue but what color should I paint the ceiling? Should I paint in even darker (black perhaps?) or lighter?. The ceiling is 8FT tall. Someone suggested that I not stop at the ceiling line but extend it down into the wall somewhat to give it a domed feel. what do you think? looking for any advice at this point. I do intend to put an outer spaced mural on one wall of the room.

Thanks a bunch.

Rick

Comments (14)

• pirula
    17 years ago

Hey Rick,

I can't comment on the walls, no good ideas there, although I like what you're thinking. But my brother got one of those NEAT solar system painting things. Have you seen them? They come with glow in the dark paint (although I'm told you can use glow in the dark nail polish) and various ways to map stars on the ceilings so that you can paint them. Then, you use a black light and they GLOW. It's really cool. In fact, when I stay at his house I insist on staying in the kid's room instead of the guest room. LOL. Anyway, I wanted to share this with you in case you don't already know about it.

Ivette

• jdryan
    17 years ago

hi!
    Rick, i just had my son's room painted in the outerspace them and it has turned out awesome!! i bought the Wallies planets and had them put on the wall (couldn't put on ceiling because of ceiling fan) and the blues i used came from lowes and i accented with the bright lime green and bright orange. i did put the dark blue on ceiling. want pix, let me know..
    Ivette, what solar system painting thing? i want to put stars on the ceiling. the glow in the dark paint from lowes did not work, no glowing after 3 coats..
    thanks for any info.
    Jacquie

• riongarland_hotmail_com
    17 years ago

variety of outer space theme bedroom decorating ideas

Here is a link that might be useful: outer space theme bedroom decorating ideas

• pirula
    17 years ago

They sell them at the Air and Space Museum here. I thought some kind of glow in the dark nail polish also works. Did you try a black light? I found they glow much better with that.

Ivette

• helaina
    17 years ago

I'd paint the ceiling and walls the same color. Two nice dark blues are Devine Storm and Citron Mr. Darcy.

• victoria816
    17 years ago

I would love to see any picture you all might have. I am attempting an outer space room for my son this week and am stuck on a ceiling color.

• ambyrkatt
    17 years ago

I'm painting a cartoonish version of an outer space room for my son. I just finished putting the second coat of Behr Space Hero Blue on his ceiling a few minutes ago. :)

Here's a Buzz Lightyear room that I'm using as inspiration: Buzz Lightyear

I'm painting the Space Hero Blue on the ceiling, Star Command Blue on the walls above a stripe of Orange Blast, Sonic Boom below the stripe, and Code red for the base boards and door trim. I'm not yet sure what color I'm using for the stars. The color suggested by Disney doesn't seem enough of a contrast with the ceiling to me, so we might go with a paler blue or a pale yellow.

• victoria816
    17 years ago

my sons room is done and looks super cool. I will post some pics as soon as I upload them!!! Thanks for the help!

• jcgirl
    17 years ago

Would love to see your pics Victoria, I am in the process of deciding what colors to work with. I would like to keep the ceiling white and paint the walls blue. I want to paint glow in the dark stars on the ceiling. It is not a big room so if I paint the ceiling dark it will make the room so much smaller. Thanks

• rama_2007
    16 years ago

Are the "glow in the dark" paints harmful? I mean, do they contain chemicals like Radium which are radioactive? Can someone please clarify?

• danny_firework_org
    16 years ago

Glow in the dark pigments are not harmful. They do not contain radioactive materials at all.

Now, the paint mediums that hold the pigments are different between companies. A reputable company will have an MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) on each of their products, that should contain any warnings.

The products from Glow Inc. have a similar toxicity as nail polish. IE, dont drink it and you will be fine. If you do drink it in large quantities, then you probably want to get checked out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Glow in the Dark Paint

• aidansroom
    16 years ago

Fourth try to post. Hi - would love to see pictures of the finished outer space themed rooms. We just decided on this theme for our 5 1/2 year old who loves Buzz, Rocket, Start Wars, etc. Thanks!

• tvhughes
    14 years ago

What great ideas! Thanks for posting! Jacquie, can you please send me some pics of your son's room! Would love to see it! And if anyone else has pics of their decorating please send them to hughes.tanya@mayo.edu. Love the ideas and need some visuals! Thanks, Tanya

• appleblossoms
    10 years ago

Lots of outer space themed bedroom pictures and heaps of decorating ideas

Here is a link that might be useful: Outer space galaxy themed decorating