Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
10yearproject

Help! gel stained cabinets too glossy.

10yearproject
11 years ago

Hi, I am new but have been lurking these forums for years. I appreciate all of the great advice and ideas I have gotten. I tried searching and can't find the answer to this dilemma.

I just did a section of our kitchen cabinets using Celticmoon's gel stain process over honey oak cabinets. When it came time to seal them, I used Minwax's polycrylic in satin sheen. It is as glossy as if I had used a high gloss finish! Every single fingerprint shows and I am stumped at how to fix this or why this happened. I only applied 2 coats. (Maybe I didn't stir it enough before applying?) Preferably the answer is not to sand and start over. I have learned my lesson, when I do the next phase of the kitchen I will use the General Finishes sealer. Can these cabinets be saved?

Comments (4)

• Virginia White
    11 years ago

Don't worry, they can be saved. What you need to do is an old woodworkers trick. You may have to search a little to find this, but get some 0000 steel wool. Do NOT use regular steel wool - it must be the 0000. This is an extremely fine wool that you can use to 'scuff' the finish. Don't do this in a circular motion; use straight lines and it would be best if you used a product like 'Elbow Grease' with it. You run less chance at having visible marks left if you use some sort of lubricant. At this point a lot of woodworkers would say to recoat it with a lower sheen, but since you used satin I hesitate to recommend anything else. If you use a different product over the top of the Minwax you will need more and different prep.
    Go lightly with the steel wool; it doesn't take a lot of pressure and again, you will have less chance at visible marks if you do.
    Best of luck,
    Ging

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

You didn't stir it enough ... the satin sheen particles are hard to get off the bottom of the can.

The 0000 steelwool, or an ultra-fine sanding sponge (400 grit) will dull the finish a bit for you.

If you can get pool filter diatomaceous earth, it makes a great gloss killer. Make a paste of it in some lemon oil and rub in straight lines, with the grain, then remove the lemon oil residue with mineral sprits.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

"diatomaceous earth"

Wear a mask when mixing this! It's very fine airborne particles, like fiberglass.

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

"diatomaceous earth"

Yes, I believe it is touted as helpful in bed bug control too (not implying anything just read you sprinkle it where they hide out).

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!