Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenhousems

glidden paint???

greenhousems
12 years ago

Any of the paint experts on this site... would you be able to provide some advice please? My brother will be painting the inside (and outside if this weather holds up) of my house. He went on line to Home Depot and noticed that they have Glidden paint... He states that he has used it in the UK and that it is a good paint... I always thought that Glidden was an inferior brand, but I am not sure how I formed this imprssion .... Please let me know is it safe to let him use this or should I recommend that he use another brand? Thanks for any suggestions.

Rosaleen

Comments (8)

• paintguy22
    12 years ago

It's a fine brand of paint, but I'm pretty sure that the Home Depot only sells the lower tier of the Glidden brand. In other words, they only sell the junk. If you want the good stuff, you need to actually go to the Glidden Professional stores.

• greenhousems
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Paint Guy. I will look for another source for Glidden paint.

• yogacat
    12 years ago

When AkzoNobel bought ICI they re-branded the ICI LifeMaster and some of the Dulux products as Glidden Professional. The "LifeMaster" is nice paint. I think they should have chosen a different name because the low end Glidden that is readily available at places like Home Depot is junk.

The company's website has a store locator. Be sure to call as well. In my area, a number of stores are listed but only the ones locations that focus on contractors carry any depth of stock in the whole "Professional" line.

Here is a link that might be useful: Glidden Professional Locator

• greenhousems
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Yogacat, this is very useful to know.

• deconovice
    12 years ago

thanks so much, I just came here to ask the same question- I used an ICI color in my house that my painter had color matched at SW and when I moved, I told my painter I wanted the same color & he asked if I wanted to get it from ICI or SW...I have no experience w/ ICI/glidden (the store, not the home depot one) and wasn't sure which way to go. He felt it was similar in quality to SW for less $ and he also said he thought it touched up better (I have 2 little kids so touching up is a big deal to me).

Any thoughts on pros/cons vs. SW?

• andersons21
    12 years ago

The constant changes in paint branding and formulas is driving me crazy....Last night I looked up ingredients of several different brands of paint, including Glidden (b/c I really like the Martha Stewart colors) sold at HD. The Glidden sold at HD is definitely not the quality of the BM I was planning to use.

• paintguy22
    12 years ago

The quality of BM varies as well and I don't think it is related to what they are printing on the can. I think they lie. I think they all lie. It's the same ingredients according to the can, but the Regal paint of 6 months ago or a year ago is not the same Regal paint of today. I can barely use the stuff anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if BM cheapened the Regal line in order to force everyone to buy Aura, which is really a fantastic paint, but it doesn't feel that great as a painter to be suckered like that. That's my own conspiracy theory there.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    12 years ago

That's my own conspiracy theory there.

I, for one, would not argue with you