Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdmomma78

Steps for painting

mdmomma78
12 years ago

We will be upgrading our entire down stairs. (new flooring, appliances, paint, etc...)

This will be the first time we have ever painted before. Do the walls get painted first? The trim? Ceiling? Should we paint before the new flooring goes down?

Comments (4)

• bpchiil
    12 years ago

MM,

You will get as many opinions as you get replies. I basically went thru this myself 1 yr ago.

Here is how I did it, and w/o issues.

1) Lay flooring (I am assuming that you are installing hardwood? If so, you don't want dust on newly painted surfaces)

2) Paint ceiling

3) Paint walls

4) Paint trim

If you have crown molding, paint this before the ceiling and walls.

Good luck!

• paintguy22
    12 years ago

Ceilings first, then trim, then tape off trim and paint walls. 99 percent of floor covering workers will damage your walls when installing carpet or hardwood. This is just how it is. Sure, it makes more sense to paint the walls first so that you are not getting paint on new carpet or flooring, but I would rather use dropcloths instead of doing mass amounts of touch ups after the floor guys destroy the place. It really depends on your floor company. Some guys are of course worse than others.

• fnmroberts
    12 years ago

Agree with previous posters, especially about painting the ceiling first and trim before the walls.

Since you say you haven't painted before, you're going to have to get the hang of it. Do one room to sort of practice rather than start everywhere at once. The most difficut skill will be learning to "cut" at the ceiling/wall intersection when changing colors. Some use the blue masking tape, with practice (and the correct brush) you can free-hand. If you're uncomfortable and using a lighter color you may want to paint the ceiling and walls the same. Use good paint - it will cover better, take fewer coats and clean/look good longer. Speak with a quality paint retailer to get the right brushes/rollers/tape etc.

What is the condition of your walls? New, previously painted, damaged? You might need to prime/repair/scrape or wash them before painting to get the right result. It's the preparation which takes the most time but is also the most important.

So, practice is essential. Painting is one of the easiest things a homeowner can do for themselves - it just takes us MUCH longer than it does the pros.

Good luck.

• obrionusa
    12 years ago

I personally trim and paint moving the drop cloth and ladder as I go. I start at the ceiling and go to the end of the drop cloth and then go back to where I started and work down to the trim. Always start in a corner and end in a corner. Including breaks. I double roll everything.
    Many people think I'm nuts for not trimming out everything first then go back and roll.
    I'm a homeowner, not a pro and painted quite a bit.
    How many trim out everything first then go back and roll versus doing it at the same time moving the drop cloth and ladder as you go?