Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pcanyon

Cabinet Coat VS Cabinet Rescue

pcanyon
17 years ago

Has anyone compared Cabinet Coat to Cabinet Rescue?

I know Cabinet Coat is held in high regard on these forums but has anyone compared it to Cabinet Rescue?

I'm planning on paiting some cherry color stained cabinets white and looking for opinions on these products.

Here's the Cabinet Rescue website:

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabinet Rescue

Comments (11)

• erinluchsinger
    17 years ago

I've never used either, but rather painted my oak cabinets w/ a good primer and then BM Satin Impervo (oil) and they look fantastic. Granted drying time was a pain, but they've never chipped or shown any wear (other than the edges where I purposely sanded to give an antiqued look)

• Michael
    17 years ago

I have painted thousands of feet of trim and hundreds of cabinets with CC. There was never a need to compare or substitute it for other similar products.

I've also used Muralo Satin Flow and Satin Impervo Waterborne. Those are fine products too.

Impervo alkyd indoors should only be used if it's not a white. White alkyd will yellow in 3 to 5 years.

Michael

• pcanyon
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Michael, Have you painted over white melamine with Cabinet Coat? Is that possible?

• loomis
    17 years ago

I, too, am painting my dark oak kitchen cabinets white and am using Cabinet Coat. My inclination would be to go with a known product. After much research on the web, I could not find one negative comment about this paint.

I am also a firm believer that the most important part of the whole project is adequate surface preparation. There are no shortcuts. Clean, sand, prime, etc. I have found that it may take two to three coats of Cabinet Coat to fully cover, as it is a thinner paint, but the final result is well worth the effort. So far, I have painted some of the cabinets and the ugly dark-stained woodwork and entry way doors in my kitchen. What a difference! My kitchen looks so much brighter already. I can't wait to get the rest done.

So my advice would be to go with a known. This paint is wonderful and will give you a beautiful finish.

• Michael
    17 years ago

I have painted melamine with CC. As long as the substrate is dull, clean and primed, I had great results.

Michael

• moonshadow
    17 years ago

Another CC fan here (kitchen cabs, doors, trim). Love how it looks and performs on doors and trim.

Cabinet Rescue is a new one to me, and the label looks suspiciously similar to CC's label at a glance. I wouldn't be afraid to test CR out on a small project. I had never heard of CC years ago when I stumbled onto a slightly dusty can at my local indy paint dealer. Couldn't even find much on the web. Store owner said he got 'good reviews' on it, and he was not one to say things just for the sake of closing a sale (have known him for years). Tried it on rental cabinets, several years later they still look good as new and it's become quite popular in ensuing years ;) So maybe Cabinet Rescue has yet to be fully 'discovered'? :)

CC will do well on your surface. Whatever you use, prep like you mean business though. It's equally if not more important than the actual paint!

• hockeynana_10_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

Just had a painter do my cupboards( which were oak stained ) with white Cabinet Coat...he primed but dont think he did much sanding as can scratch if off with your finger nail... I am going to have to get somebody to and start from scratch with a good sanding

• paintplus
    9 years ago

i have only used Cabinet Rescue and I love it! It is easily available in FL and I have only had positive results. Working on a project where it is not available NC, so researching something similar and saw posts about Cabinet Coat. I will see if its available but if not I will order CR on-line

• PRO
    Trudy Connor
    8 years ago

I am adding cabinet to the top of my bath vanities, the finish is not quit the same even though the builder said they work together. the upper cabinet has more of a brown glaze on top. Note: this bath is mid process on turning into a handicap shower, below is the original.

Where I am running into an issue, the second bath, not pictured here has builder grade, white thermofoil doors and the upper cabinet I am adding is wood ordered on the advise of the builder as wood will hold up better to moisture, the "white cabinet" for the second bath arrived in bisque. Looks so much better than the original. Now, I want to paint the original white to bisque.

• Bob Lux
    3 months ago

I love Cabinet Rescue but it is no longer sold in SW Florida. I have used it on various laminated pieces of furniture as well as kitchen and laundry cabinets. It is easy to use and the white color stays white, no yellowing. Anyone know where I can get it?