Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paint sheen for coffered ceiling?

Posted by maxsam (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 30, 12 at 13:07

My husband just finished installing a coffered ceiling in our office. I am planning on painting the beams the same sheen as the window trim and baseboards, but what about the flat part of the ceiling? I am planning on it being a little darker than the white beams, but am unsure if it should be painted in flat or the same sheen as the beams and crown? Does anyone have a recommendation?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paint sheen for coffered ceiling?

flat

o

We did ours in a darker color as well and used flat paint.

o

There are two ways to approach a coffered ceiling:

one is to treat the whole thing as a "Trim" detail, meaning paint it all the same color and sheen as the rest of your trim. If you do this, make sure to apply the paint (or at least lay-off) the flat areas with the same implement that you apply the paint to the beams so that it all looks the same (ie: if you brush out the beams, dont just roll out the flat parts, lay them off with a brush - the texture difference will look wierd).

The second way is to treat the beams as trim, but the flat parts as ceiling. If you do this, the sheen on the flat parts should be FLAT, and feel free to just roll them out. You can also experiment with color according to your tastes, but I have generally found that it looks best if you keep the flat areas "ceiling" white.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here