Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wallpaper removal

Posted by Glittergirl_Tx (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 15, 12 at 12:55

Hi Folks,
I've read a bunch of the wallpaper removal posts but most say to try to remove the top surface before using removers. In our bath remodel, previous owners had wallpaper, then applied paintable wallpaper with texture over that, then painted over that a least two times. We've tried the paper tiger with hot water and fabric softener but other than making it smell good, it's not working.

Will DIF or safe and simple be a better option or will they even work to cut through that many layers. We need to remove it because it's coming up in places. Our intention is once removed to have the walls taped/floated and retextured correctly. Our bath is 10x12 with 10' ceilings. UGH!!

Suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wallpaper removal

If you are going to tape and float the entire surface, could you try using a utility knife to score (carefully) the paper and then apply the remover?

At least this would get though the layers of paint.

o

If you are going to have the walls floated and prepped (as opposed to DIY) I'd consider whether it would cost you that much more to start with new sheetrock. I suspect it will be slow going for you and you might be taking off the top layer of the sheetrock as you go. It's the labor involved in taping, floating and texturing the room that makes up most of the cost of installing drywall and you're going to have that anyway. I'd save the time and aggravation -- as well as the risk of investing that time and possibly still having to replace, and start clean.

o

Hi. It may be too late for me to help you but I think that when you have that many layers on the wall you might be able to pull alot of it off dry if you can just get it started. I learned all about this from an ebook on wallpaper removal on amazon for next to nothing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here