Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paint Washes Off - Implications for Repainting

Posted by yogacat (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 23, 12 at 12:10

I have a small space that a previous owner painted in a red eggshell. I believe that all of the original plaster in this space was replaced with drywall if that matters. When I wipe them down with a damp washcloth (no soap) the white cloth comes away with a pink tint. I don't feel any obvious roughness that indicates that the walls were dusty when painted, but some of the paint obviously comes off.

I want to paint this space in a lighter color, so I will definitely prime first. I still worried that the new film may fail given the current behavior. Any suggestions for preparing the surface?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paint Washes Off - Implications for Repainting

Prime and paint with quality products from a real paint store, no problems

o
RE: Paint Washes Off - Implications for Repainting

Thanks, Christopher. I was afraid that I'd have to sand the walls to get down to something completely stable. Quality of primer and paint isn't an issue. I'm too easily annoyed to waste my time with junk!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here