Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stone table

Posted by chris_ont (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 29, 11 at 11:13

Hi
I have an interesting table that is the perfect size and shape for the end of my couch.

It has black metal legs and the top seems to be some sort of stone slab.
If I had to guess, I'd say it was slate, an inch thick, plain gray, nice beveled edge.

At some point it appears to have been painted matte black, but now the paint is a speckled mass of scratches. There is no peeling, though. The missing paint blotches look messy, beyond a simple 'distressed' look.

Repainting this is probably the best option, but how do you paint stone?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stone table

Hello!

My name is Christine and I work at The Home Depot in the paint department.

The only primer that I can think of that would work would be a shellac based primer. It will adhere to anything, including stone. You will want to make sure it is completely dry before you paint on top of it.

After you prime it, paint over it with an oil based black paint.

Using both of these products will give you the most durable finish for you table top.

I hope that helped,
Christine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here