Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diybluemom

Good Affordable Paint Brand

diybluemom
10 years ago

I apologize in advance for my lack of paint knowledge!

After posting over in decorating, I've come to the conclusion I'm going to repaint my bar cabinets - I typically use Behr paint (I know a lot of you don't like this brand) simply because it's on the affordable end, HD is the closest store near me (we live out of town) and it hasn't really failed me when I've chosen a color from the Behr line. My problem is, I can't find any colors I like and while browsing through Dutch Boy's selection I found one I finally think will work, but the last few times I've color matched with Behr I haven't been happy with the results so I would like to avoid that, however it's been a LONG time since I've used Dutch Boy and I'm worried the product might not be good. So my question is... do any of the other big names (BM, SW, RL, etc.) have anything price wise closer to Behr or should I just give Dutch Boy a shot?

The colors are actually very similar, so it's not like I'm going from white to black or anything. I saw Sherwin-Williams is having 25% off right now so that would help a little, but with such a small project, I need to stay budget friendly. Also, low fumes are important to me so I need to stay in a line with the low odor. Any suggestions?

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    10 years ago

They all have affordable product lines

DO NOT, repeat, NOT go with Dutch Boy, it is way worse than Behr( and that's saying something)

Do you have a PPG store nearby?

• fnmroberts
    10 years ago

The end result of ANY paint project is Preparation. And, the cheapest paint project is with more expensive paint - it covers better, yields more square feet and generally self-levels itself.

I personally painted kitchen and bathroom cabinets and here is my preparation steps.

Remove doors, hardware and drawers.

Sand surface to de-gloss and get "tooth" for bonding. Be certain and get corners thoroughly. Some say liquid sandpaper but I haven't used it to comment.

Remove ALL dust with a tack cloth.

Prime. I prefer oil-based primer but speak with a professional paint distributor as oil-based products have been changed. Low odor products are readily available however are most likely latex.

Paint with a quality brush in the grain direction of each piece of wood. Do doors and drawer fronts flat. Lightly sand and go over with the tack cloth between coats.

I used Cabinet Coat. No regrets after several years and daily usage. I suspect any paint will work better with correct preparation. Begin with inside to get the hang of it.

Good luck.

• jcalhoun
    10 years ago

Of the large store brands SW is probably the best.

My favorite paint is a local company called BLP/Mobile Paints. Their Conventry line is very good.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I recently used Pittsburgh paint in my BR and was very happy with the performance and it was quite a bit less than Ben Moore.

• PRO
    10 years ago

quote"I recently used Pittsburgh paint in my BR and was very happy with the performance and it was quite a bit less than Ben Moore."

yes!, exactly

• Vertise
    10 years ago

The specific line of paint in a brand has to be included (often they are not). Even BM has a cheap paint line (which their employee says they would never use except in commercial settings). Behr paint gets bad reviews but I believe I read their new Ultra is quite good.

Would that be PPG Manor Hall Timeless, Annie? (That people here say is quite good?)

How is the open time with that product? (I am comparing to speed-dry Aura). Can you tend to the wall edges or even out roller marks without it getting gummy and rough? Keep an open wet edge for subsequent sections?

This post was edited by snookums2 on Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 22:26

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I believe it was manor hall....it did seem to dry a bit quicker but I had no marks at all in the wall. And it has built in primer so I was able to get the whole room done in one coat which was a pleasure. (I was going over a bone color...don't know how it would be if I was covering a darker color.)

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Thanks for the information. Sounds like it wasn't too bad then.

• PRO
    10 years ago

I don't think there is much out there that dries faster than Aura

Sponsored
Kohlmark Flach Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Kohlmark Flach Architects: Enriching Lives Through Purposeful Design