Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lam702

cabinet coat

lam702
9 years ago

After much indecision, I am ready to paint my bathroom cabinets white. I plan to use BM Cabinet coat. I know the basics - clean, scuff, prime and paint. What I'd like to know are any tips for a better job - type of brush, roller, etc (spraying is not an option) what primer is best, etc. I've done plenty of painting over the years, but never used this paint, although from doing my research, its sounds like the right paint for the job.

Comments (21)

• Faron79
    9 years ago

Hpny-

If you haven't done it already....!
    Myself & others have posted on this forum about using CC.

After good prep, 3 things are important...
    1) GOOD tools
    2) Good technique, &
    3) Good technique....!

Faron

• MrsShayne
    9 years ago

I painted all my orange oak cabinets in my kitchen a couple years ago. My local paint store recommended cabinet coat as the primer and BM advanced paint for the reg paint. I did two coats of each. I've also used cabinet coat on my trim and doors and it works well. I used a roller on my flat areas and a brush in the beveled areas. The paint moves as its drying so don't freak out at first. It's just leveling.... :)

• MrsShayne
    9 years ago

Here is the after pic...

• lam702
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mrs,Shayne, your "after" kitchen is simply amazing! I am in awe of all the work involved. Just painting a vanity and wall cabinet is a lot of work. So far, I've done the prep (not fun) cleaning, sanding, cleaning. Then 2 coats of primer, light sanding between coats. Just painted the backs of the doors with CC this morning, what a great paint, went on like silk. I was a bit worried about brush marks, (although as per recommendation I invested in a good Purdy brush, love it) but that paint leveled out so well, you can't even see them. I wasn't sure if I should brush or roll it with a foam roller. First coat is brush, I may do the 2nd coat with the roller just to see which I prefer. This is only the back of the doors, which already look great. Never ceases to amaze me what a transformation a coat of paint can do. Many thanks to all GW'ers for all the helpful information.

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago

Fantastic job on kitchen! I can only imagine the work that went into painting the cabinets. They look great!!

• Peakmom
    9 years ago

Bravo MrsShayne! Well done!!
    I just put the final coat of CC on my bathroom vanity today - happy to see someone else is doing the same thing. I used a Purdy angled brush to cut in and a disposable foam roller for the flat parts (it's recommended on the can and it worked great). I'm going to use it for the linen cabinet and the trim on the board and batten as well. We had it tinted BM Simply White. Very happy with the product. I've uploaded a close-up of the side of the vanity after 3 coats (going over raw wood soaked up a lot of the first coat). I'll post a pic of the finished project in a few weeks.

• lam702
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We seem to be doing the same thing, Peakmom. . I just finished up the last coat of CC in BM Winter Snow this morning. Going over a dark espresso color, I needed 2 coats primer, 2 coats paint. I also used the purdy brush and foam rollers. I am very happy with the way it turned out, a lot of work so I can't even imagine doing a whole kitchen. But if I ever did, I would use CC again.

• MrsShayne
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the kind words. Painting my kitchen cabinets took a couple of months. I only did a few at a time (after work and on the weekends).

Peakmom - your vanity is gorgeous - looks like something out of Pottery Barn. You and the hubby did great!!!
    I need a 72" vanity if you want to make another one hehehehe :)

• CEFreeman_GW DC/MD Burbs 7b/8a
    9 years ago

I'm confused about something. You mention using CC as a PRIMER, topping it with another BM paint.

Why?

CC dries harder than other paints, being specifically made for trim. Why put something even indiscernibly softer on top?

I'm addicted to painting with CC. Cannot get any better.

Guys, all these paint jobs and the furniture peakmom has built is gorgeous.

• Michael
    9 years ago

That vanity is absolutely stunning! I need something like that for our guest bathroom. Going to visit trading places this evening and hopefully upcycle a piece to improve.

• mrsshayne
    9 years ago

CEFreeman, good question .... I just used what the BM paint store recommended. At the time, I didn't know much about paint so I went with what they recommended. Advanced was newer back then and BM had an advanced primer and advanced paint, paint guy said he'd never had a complaint on CC so he recommended it for my primer and advanced paint for next coat. Maybe it was a line of bull to sell me more? Lol either way I'm happy with the results. Paint has held up great after a couple years later.

• 293summer
    9 years ago

Peakmom ~ love the vanity. If I may ask, did you have "plans" you used and, if so, could you share where they came from? Thanks for any info!

• CEFreeman_GW DC/MD Burbs 7b/8a
    9 years ago

I'm sure it has, Mrsshayne. I think the BM guy didn't know his new product. They only recently purchased Inslx, so he was sticking with what he thought he knew.

But you can't beat quality paint. Some folks are OK with "good enough." I'm not one of them, having spent 10 years now repairing my ex-GC-DC-POC's "good enough for now" work.

You've done a beautiful job.

• Michael
    9 years ago

Odd that the paint store would recommend Advance over a urethane enamel. Advance specifies a primer over existing enamels to insure proper adhesion. I'm glad you didn't experience any issues. In my experience, CC outperforms Advance in many ways.

• mrsshayne
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thank you for the kind words - CEFreeman_GW .. While I still have a "builder-grade" kitchen per se, I still smile when I see the transformation that the paint did. The new appliances and countertop helped too but I don't think I would have felt the same effect had I not painted the cabinets.

And, Brushworks Spectacular Finishes - I did freak out when I first started painting with advanced over the CC - the first coat went on and looked fine but after about 10 minutes the paint was all splotchy and looked terrible. I freaked! I thought about trying to touch up/paint the cabinets again - right then but then I told myself "hang on, BM will come thru, BM will come thru" - I waited a while and the paint turned out fine. This is when I learned what paint "leveling" meant - we've all heard the phrase - watching paint dry.... but watching my paint dry gave that saying a whole new meaning! I had no idea paint could move that much! :)

• annz3
    9 years ago

Mrs Shayne...what an inspiration! I am starting my cabinets next week and will use CC. Please tell me about your counter.

• mrsshayne
    9 years ago

Thank you annz3 ! Be sure to post pics if you paint, I love seeing what others do too (after all, it was other peoples work that inspired me to paint my own cabinets) .... My counters are a busier granite. I originally planned for Formica or Wilsonart laminate counters... But then I found a granite guy that would install granite for only about $700 more. This isn't my dream kitchen but I figured after painting and stuff it would hold me over for 3-5 years (maybe longer) so I splurged on the granite. I ended up picking a mid range granite that was another $500 more but it was so worth it, it matches the cabinets beautifully I think.... Here's a a better pic. Looking back I wish I wouldn't have done the matching 4" BS (they seem kind of dated now, but oh well)

• mrsshayne
    9 years ago

Here's one more pic.. I did not realize the granite was so speckled until after it was installed. I picked out the slabs myself, which was one of my favorite times during the remodel. This pic and the one above are both before we installed hardwood.

• erinnicole
    9 years ago

MrsShayne, Can you please tell me did you use a roller on all your flat areas first, let them dry then paint the edges with a brush? Or, did you go back and forth between the roller & brush, trying to keep a wet edge at all times? Thank you!

• mrsshayne
    9 years ago

Hi erinnicole

I didn't let areas dry in-between using the roller and brush - I just did it all at the same time. I started by painting with the brush in the beveled areas and then I used the roller on the flat surfaces. Sometimes I had to touch up with the brush if paint gathered in areas but I always painted the entire door at one time.

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x